Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Big Buzz on BuzzBoy

We have an official announcement....Buzz Boy will be graduating from the hive in just three short months! He is chronologically a junior, but recent situations have come to light that have altered things.

You see, I was always a big believer in the apprenticeship concept. I wanted my high schooler to have the option, their senior year, to have the majority of their classes behind them. If they were considering a career path where an apprenticeship might help (ie. graphic design or engineering), they would have that option. Or, they could begin college early taking dual enrollment classes.

This year, I have really stepped back with Buzz, realizing that I was doing neither of us any favors by acting as a constant warden to his education. We had a great meeting outlining his duties and mine, and all was understood. I had moved off nagging and punishing for missed deadlines, and made him take a quiz or two on Monday's mornings when he had chosen to stay up all weekend playing video games or text message friends instead of study.

He has performed with relative diligence for his four teachers at the co-op, and is doing fairly well. But the four classes he is doing at home with me have been dismally disregarded. Just Wednesday, he handed in an amazing paper on the true causes of the Civil War. I would have given it an "A" , if it hadn't been due on Jan. 15th ! But he is sorely behind in his college and career planning elective, as well as German. And he is sporting a lovely "D+" in biology. At this point, it is doubtful if he will even get credit for the class without changes! Ugh!

He is fully aware that all these grades go on his permanent record, but continues making bad choices. This week, when I talked with a counselor at the community college, I learned that in order for him to participate in the dual enrollment program as a high school student next year, he needs to have a "B" average in every class. With only twelve weeks left in our year, there is little chance that he can achieve that in biology.

Which led King Bee and I to a big meeting this weekend to lay out options. I morally refuse to give him a grade other than that his efforts have produced. I would be more tempted to do so, if he has been working hard and could not understand the concepts. But his choice to spend no more than two hours a week on biology shows in his tests and quizzes. He certainly has been taught how to study diligently, but refuses to do so despite promised all along to step it up.

There were only two options we could see for next year, without dual enrollment:
A) He would take all his classes traditionally- This idea is problematic, in that I am unable to help him at all with subjects like calculus and advanced chemistry. There are few classes offered for him at the co-op, as he took them early on in the rotation. Then, there is the reality that he does not respect me at all as a teacher.

B) Graduate early, and start next year as a freshman at the community college- Since we pushed early on, he indeed has more than enough credits to graduate through the diploma program in our state. He would basically be doing the same classes he would have had through dual enrollment, with the addition of two others.

KingBee and I both feel it is an easy decision. Buzz is both excited and disappointed, only because he wanted to have a "lazy senior year " to play on the mountain and hang out with friends. KingBee kindly reminded him that he did that this year, so he isn't getting short changed at all! He started to contradict, and was quickly met with by KingBee. It was so nice to hear him remind Buzz that if he had not been so pre-occupied with social ,fun pursuits, he would have easily been eligible for the original program. "This is a good lesson learned, and one that best remembered. If you treat your academics the same next year, your future plans will depend on it. "

And I am quickly thrilled, realizing that the student-teacher relationship that caused us so much strife is soon to be over! I cannot tell you how relieved I am to just be able to be mom to him. He is certainly capable of the work, if he choses to do it. Ah...this will be my last portfolio for him!!!
I better start thinking about a graduation party!!!

6 comments:

Lisa Anne said...

I think this is a great solution to the situation you have had with BuzzBoy this year. I think he will step up and be more responsible and your relationship will grow as he will appreciate all you have done a lot more.

Sara said...

Congratulations! This has been a long-term stress for you, and this sounds like a great solution.

Laurel said...

I am SO glad that the conflict between you two will have one less trigger....he truly IS an amazing young man, and if he wants to to learn, he will succeed. I will miss him next year, but I know that he'll step up to the challenge of college classes.....AND I think he'll enjoy the true independence. I pray that your "mom/son" relationship will really heal now that the "teacher" is being taken out of the mix! I'll start the next slideshow!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It sounds like this step makes a lot of sense.

Anonymous said...

"KingBee kindly reminded him that he did that this year, so he isn't getting short changed at all!"

Hurray for KingBee! And hurray for you for letting go. Buzz will be fine. Even if he slacks next year. I know YOU want him to do things in the proper order and young. But it is still possible to delay university until you are ready. If he has to do things the hard way, so be it.

Anonymous said...

Exciting news! You are graduating your first from the hive! And good to see you and KingBee are on the same page with this. This sounds great for all of you!