Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Reality Hits: College Freshman

Buzz and I had an invitation to a meet and greet program at the community college last night for the Honors Scholarship students. There were a dozen or so faculty on hand, both administrative and teaching. A handful of sophmore honors scholars were on hand, as well as a few graduates of the program. Even the dean of the college was there to welcome the kids to the program.

The growth at our local community college has been huge, with over 3000 kids attending daytime classes. The speaker pressed the point that the 22 selected for the honors program are their "best and brightest". Each student was called up on stage and introduced to the group, telling their background, interests, and goals. I was amazed at how many homeschooled kids were among the group. At every opportunity, they drew out the similarities of interests/goals between the different kids. Within the first hour, they were creating a team atmosphere for these kids.

The advisor in charge of the program spoke. The honors scholars program is designed to track these twenty-two, along with last year's returning sophmores intensely. They will have three cohort classes together (honors seminar, philosophy, speech) , in addition to their
specific freshman math and english and elective. The second semester will be the same, with the cohort classes focusing on English, Sociology, and honors research skills. They are set up on study teams together, as well as taking part in special events throughout the year.

The concept is remarkable, really. These kids become a team, creating initial built in support from the beginning. People from the academic help center were there, explaining about math lab and english tutoring opportunities for even the bright students. The honors profs were all there, meeting and kids and asking questions to really get to know them personally from the first minute.

We broke up for a picnic. A gentlemen approached us who had the coolest job title ever -Dean of Student Success. He was endearing and supportive, and he and Buzz immediately clicked. He invited Buzz to visit him anytime, whether stressed or excited or just wanting sugar (he keeps a stash of candy in his office.) It was amazing to sit and watch the faculty working among the tables of students, truly excited to get to know them.

The freshman (OMG!) went off after the meal to discuss their summer reading assignment, To Kill A Mockingbird. Buzz told me they immediately dove into literary analysis of the book, and he was thankful that he had taken that class this year and could hold his own. (Thanks Mrs. Wenson!). Then, a few of the sophmores spoke and forewarned them of the rigors of the program, the importance of time management, and told them of how much fun studying together can be. Pizza definitely becomes a fifth food group, as I remember well.

Meanwhile, the parents got more indepth info on the special services provided, such a college and major search for transferring. They offer their skills to help the kids find the career/school that would be best suited them. Hearing them talk about former students, groups, it was easy to see that these folks are truly invested in the kid's success as well. Moreover, they meet with the kids frequently, trying to trouble shoot any potential problems on any level along the way.

We left and Buzz had a reserved excitement. He had met some great kids already, and realizes now what a great opportunity it will be to have a built in peer group on his first day. I'm so excited for him. The reality has hit... we've got a college freshman in the house!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That all sounds wonderful. I think if I were to go back to teach college again I'd do it at a community college. I like both the attitudes of the students and the investment of the faculty in the students at community colleges.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Buzz. It sounds like he's got a great combination of learning opportunity and support system. Best wishes to him as he enters his first semester of college.

sarah said...

I wish college had been like that for me! I might feel better about sending my dd there.

Sara said...

Wow - it sounds just like what I researched as "effective pedagogy" for the pipeline of high school to college when I was doing my Masters project - it almost seems like someone out there is trying to make a program that will help kids learn rather than "weed them out". Yay for Buzz to get to be part of something like that.