I feel as if I am metaphorically blinking in the sunlight as I emerge from this cave of lesson planning. I've been extremely productive, but totally one-minded. Thank goodness my family is forgiving, for meals have been their responsibility or happenstance at best.
Still, life goes on outside of this . Buzz started college this week, and so far is loving both his professors and classmates. Honey has kept herself busy, first caring for an orphaned bunny that our golden retriever brought in, then reorganizing her closet and drawers. She's been picking up my slack, thankfully, in household chores and such.
I'm finally feeling as if I have topped the mountain of work, as it was, and am now on the downward slope. I have 85% of two co-op classes planned out, with only 15% of the third accomplished. Today, I shall put my nose to the grindstone once more to get the majority of work for the class behind me.
I still have promises to keep. HoneyGirl wants a day at the beach. I want to use my gift certificate for a massage. We both want to try some recipes together, and take a field trip to finish astronomy. We need some concentrated time together to organize her studies for her freshman year.
Most importantly, is we want some time to just "be" , before all the activities and lessons start for this year. There is nothing like the purposeful and ever-present state of "being" to center oneself. For much of the year, I walk around divided and distracted, thinking of all the things that need to be handled next. This leads to all sorts of anxiety and stress, and stops me from fully enjoying the present.
I realize that merely "being" is a choice, just like being happy. I want to be present in my own life, with my family , and with my friends. "To be or not to be" has taken on a whole new meaning for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm always so impressed by how well-prepared you are. I'm sure your students benefit from it hugely. I am the "throw some notes down on paper the night before" kind of teacher.
Even if all this work now is overwhelming, you are setting yourself up to have a better year because you did all this prep. So, I'm sure you will find that time to "be".
Glad to hear you have almost hit your planning goal. That's always a good feeling.
Post a Comment