I had one of those days yesterday. It started at 10pm the night before, when Honey suddenly came down with the flu. I held her hair while she hugged the porcelain god all through the night.
When her torment ceased and she snuggled into bed, it was already 4:30am. Not worth lying down for a half hour nap, I jumped in the shower hoping to revive myself.
For co-op is on Tuesdays, and this week had the additional stress of a staff meeting with teachers who have signed on for next year. I did the best I could to address the way in the which the co-op functions, their responsibilities and the benefits. There were many questions and concerns about hte new site choice that I couldn't confidently answer yet.
I tried to explain that I created the schedule with great care and consideration to a myriad of factors, but it seems that sixteen folks all want to teach from 10-11,m and there are only 10 classrooms at that time. Dandy.
Of course, it wasn't just the teachers with requests. All day long, every time I turned around another person wanted to ask a question or make a request. " Please make sure this class isn't opposite that class, becuase my little Susie wants to take both" is not feasible when we are talking about forty odd classes over six periods and over 100 kids. But that didn't stop the lines from forming any time I stood still. I even had people follow me into the bathroom to press their case.
Of course, I was still trying to focus on teaching my three classes and help my students, while worrying about my sick child left at home. (She obviously had the better part of the deal, as she slept peacefully all day. )
It seemed like every person there NEEDED me yesterday. Wanted my advice on student's who wouldn't work, on curriculum at home, or scout troops. I had to hear the complaint of the woman who got a parking ticket in the clearly marked 2-hour zone, and those about the less-than-stellar vacuum cleaners. I was cornered into having to tell someone that he was not going to be able to teach again as they assumed because the children are afraid of him, and every parent pulled their child from class. My head was exploding...
I got home to more drama in my email, from those who I supposed got tired waiting in the lines earlier. More parents with issues as teachers have begun addressing students who are not doing the work. Seriously? As if I bide with lazy students excuses? Not the time to talk to that mom.
I made a cup of tea and snuggled with my girl, dreaming of how it was all those years ago. When we would wake and just decide what we would do, with no obligations or homework or lesson plans to be done. No phone calls , no emails, that focus only on someone else's problems. What of those days when there was no drama but our own. I wanted to pack it up and head to Maine, and live out the rest of our days in a small house near the ocean, spending our afternoons collecting sea glass and photographing sunsets. Sigh!
Of course I know that this was just one of those days. I love the co-op with my heart, and love the people there. I even enjoy the administrative work, most of the time. But good Lord, I am getting so crabby when the phone rings right now.
My daughter thinks that I am too warm and friendly and capable, and that unfortunately means that anyone with a problem thinks I just want to solve it for them. Maybe she is right. I normally love encouraging others. I think I need to get a shirt made..."Do not approach with problems until I am properly rested."
Maybe I can hide from the phone today....and get back to sleep!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sorry for your day. And sorry Honey was so sick. I hope she is better by the time you read this.
And I hope someone gives back to you the way you give to all.
Go ahead. Hide from the phone. Don't read e-mail. If necessary chant the following mantra "I am not a cardiac surgeon. No one will die if I leave my work on the table for a day."
Then try to answer collectively wherever possible. Group similar problems and send out an e-mail covering them to everyone, on the assumption that at least a few people saw how busy you were and didn't even ask.
Use those answers as the basis for a co-op handbook for next year.
Hugs to you and Honey for the puke and the sleep deprivation.
Post a Comment