Friday, January 29, 2010

Julie/Julia and Authenticity....

HoneyGirl spent another afternoon trudging away at her "damned" paper (yes, I am letting her refer to it in jus that way, poor dear!), but with an attitude of anticipation. The boys were heading off to Philadelphia to see a hockey game, and we knew we had the house to ourselves. And we had exactly the same plan: chick flicks!

We have been saving Julie/Julia for such an occasion. Reagan has recently begun to identify to actual actors/actresses in films that are over the age of 20. Meryl Streep is one of her new favs, although I am not certain Streep would be thrilled to know that she is referred to as "that clever , older lady who can play any part." Actually, she might just get a kick out of that!

We have both fallen in love with Julia Child. What a dynamic and fun woman she was! Her story was quite amazing, really, when one realizes that she only learned to cook at 37-years young. How encouraging to all of us who have yet to find/ embrace our true passions in careers?

Honey was however, quite annoyed with Julie Powell's character. Her self-centeredness and whiny weakness seemed in such stark contrast to Julia's overflowing confidence. Her obsession was just at the borderline between sane and looney. And her husband was, much to his disagreement, a saint to go along with the project. I can't even get mine to eat orange vegetables, let alone a year of french cuisine!

Of course, I saw this as a perfect teachable moment. Wasn't that contrast the crux of the story? Julie's weakness was exactly why Julia became such a focus for her, and a catalyst for change and self-evaluation. Her frustration and tantrums didn't negate the amazing commitment and perserverence she showed by actually meeting the year-long challenge.

I also reminded Honey that this was Hollywood. We went online and found some of the actual blog posts from the Julie/Julia project, and I came away with a much different feel. Powell was witty, and honest, and swore unabashedly. And I know that I would have , had I known it at the time, been a devoted reader.

Honey did as Honey does, took it all in to ponder. I am sure she will be sharing some wonderful insight in the coming days. We both decided that we need to add "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" to our shelf and try a few of the recipes ourselves when we do cooking next year. I can imagine us having a blast deboning a duck.

I received a lot more from the movie than a few hours of entertainments and a craving for french onion soup. What I got most from both women was a true reminder of the importance of authenticity.

I have been recently overwhelmed with issues surrounding this in attempting to write this book about homeschooling. I will let myself tell a story of our lives that illustrates a key concept, yet I hesitate and second guess when I proof read. HOw will I be pereceived by my reader?

Am I comfortable sharing those moments when I was a raging three-headed dragon and swore at my lolly-gagging kids? Will anyone believe those truly amazing moments of affirmation that came from my then 13-year old's mouth? Will my perceptions in applying psychological models to homeschooling types be embraced and pondered, or just fodder for criticism from my peers?

Will anyone at all get anything of value out of this endeavor, or will I just be pereceived as another homeschooling blow hard, albeit one who is more likely to swear like a sailor when frustrated than pray a rosary?

Authenticity reminds me that I just can't be worried about all of that. I need to remember that I have morphed into a fire-breathing dragon at times. I've been vulnerable, fun-loving, strong, tender, inspired, and demanding in turn. And lest I forget opinionated.

But that is authentic. That is the real me. And authentic is the only way I can even consider facing this project. I'm in my forties, and I just have to be comfortable with the fact that even if those who take a look into the inside of my home and disagree with my thoughts or methods, I cannot let them ever question my truth.

Thank you Julie and Julia!

3 comments:

Lisa Anne said...

Angela, I responded to your comment in my comment section, but then I wrote a post with resources that we are using. We kind of make up everything as we go along.

The Julie/Julia movie was fun, I Julie's book and she is whiny and quite frustrating to read after a while (much more so in the book than in the movie!) Jerome went out and bought Julia Child's books after he saw the movie, I am truly benefiting from it! Amelia and I do the same thing when we know Jerome will be gone for the afternoon; weget out some Romantic movie (lots of Jane Austen here) and snuggle up on the couch, Jerome doesn't mind watching the movies we love but there is something indulgent and fun watching these movies- just the girls!

Stephanie said...

Many of us relate to homeschool moms who sometimes act like raging dragons and are more likely to cuss like sailors than say the rosary! Hang in there, and don't be afraid to tell the truth. :-)

sarah said...

In your authenticity, we find permission for our own. It would be a great gift to read a book that described the real realities of hsing, not just the pretty ones.