Thursday, January 14, 2010

There Will Be Holes....

A huge concern for many considering homeschooling is that they will leave "holes" in their children's education. It surprises many when I heartily agree. Advice seekers often panic when I do so, and start to rethink their ability to meet the task. I always ask them to think back on their own education, and remind them how little they can recall. That's when every one takes a deep breath and smiles.

The truth is there will always be holes, whether your schooling be the most expensive private academy or the public school around the corner. Homeschoolers might miss concepts more easily, depending on their style, surely. But even the most diligent and organized planners (me) will be humbled when the next hole appears in the front lawn of their child's education .

Take, for instance, a recent conversation with Honey Girl. She was discussing her future, stating when she is older, she has a strong desire to have only one natural child. She wants to adopt any other children, "from a third world country, like Toledo."
"Toledo, Ohio?" I queried.
"No, Toledo, Mexico," she answered in a questioning voice.

Time to pull out the map.

As this conversation comes after a few others showing similar confusion, the sink hole has surfaced in our homeschool. It is quite apparent that she has maintained nothing from the United States geography we did in 4th grade. For whatever reason, she didn't connect to the material at that time. She loves world geography and has a fairly good working knowledge through self-designed course she did last year after an introductory course she took at co-op the year before. But still, there is this hole about her own country.

This hole doesn't concern me, because we've faced lots of them before. Holes are opportunities in our home. After some good-natured ribbing, Honey asked me to get her some materials or even a workbook so she can teach herself. I had a few things on hand, and she picked an elementary level workbook and a notebooking source, and wishes to combine them.

I am sure a few wondered why I would let my freshmen use an elementary source. I find that when letting my kids fill their own holes, the best option is to let them choose the material. Her level of knowledge on the subject is at that level. Her goal is to use the workbook for a jump start to help her organize her study (it divides the regions nicely) and then use the notebooking materials to expand the topic as far as she wishes.

What matters more than the materials she uses is the level of self-motivation. She doesn't like having this hole, now that it is recognized. She is eager to filled herself with information because geography interests her. She requested a large wall map. She mentioned books and travel videos, and hinted at road trips. There is no timetable other than her own desire.

Sometimes, holes are the blessings in disguise!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I wish my children were more self-motivated. I find it very frustrating. Liz does American geography this year and I intend for Helen to review along with her.

MelissaB said...

Sometimes the elementary materials are more fun and colorful, that's a great reason to go with them at any age. I love watching my kids not have to act their age when it just doesn't matter. I hope you both have fun with filling that hole.

Anonymous said...

I often turn to materials from the children's department when I am learning a new skill too, for that exact reason. And sometimes I will use lower level materials for school when introducing a topic or for review. I think folks get a little too hung up on staying "at grade level." Ten years from now it won't matter where the knowledge came from, only that it is there.

Stephanie said...

Excellent post! Sometimes there is a "hole" when it is just not the right time in a student's life for that information or that experience. I am still filling those in at age 43, and will continue to do so as long as I'm breathing. :-)

sarah said...

I admire so much her self-motivation. And I love her dream to adopt. I hope she will be able to afford it! :-)