I've been spending a great deal of my early morning free time working on my book about homeschooling. I received an "intested, show us more" letter from a publisher in early January after reading some of my samples. I'm trying to keep things in perspective, knowing that tons of authors probably receive similar letters that produce little other than the few more chapters they write. Even still, it is serving as the swift kick in the butt that I need to finish it!
Life, however, is never neat and tidy. While I am diligently trying to add to the page count, it is the time again for my asst. director and I to secure our teachers for next year's classes. Those classes, are the reflection of parent polling and a developing three-year rotation of classes (to ensure variety for our families). Every year, a few folks need to step back due to lifestyle changes, etc. , so the process to replace them with someone who specializes in whatever field and who is willing to volunteer their teaching requires sending out lots of feelers through the homeschooling community. It's the only time of the year where I've been approaching my monthly usage on my cell phone.
As if that wasn't enough, I have been forced to search out a new site for our co-op. The current site is trying to dole out its' third rate increase, which is equivalent to 17% hike. Obviously they don't realize that dozens of churches have realized what a benefit a group like ours would be, filling an empty building one day a week and writing them hefty checks to fill their coffers. It is a bummer to move, but I see a never-ending pattern of greed here that doesn't respect the concept of a co-op in the least. While finding a new home won't be a problem, it still takes lots of time for visits and negotiations. I have then make decisions with the board, and notify teachers and families of our final decision. Meetings, meetings, and more meetings.
That, however, is only the adminstrative end. I am still teaching three classes, with all the lesson planning and grading that entails. We are preparing for the National Mythology Exam, which has been great fun, but also additional work. Each class is working on research reports, and most of my students have opted to create coordinating displays for our Educational Fairs on February, 19th. (Oh...I chair that as well...:)
All the while, I still need to be a present and available homeschooling mom for HoneyGirl.
I come back then, to the freedom homeschooling offers us. I truly do not have the time to develop or even search out quality lessons in sociology, english or journalism at this time. And her education will not be any worse if we take a month off from those subjects.
Honey has definitely become self-directed in a few subjects, just taking the lead in math and science, as she has curriculums that work well for her via computer. She, too ,is prepping for the myth exam and working on a research report, which requires little from me at this stage. We are still getting together daily for German, as we both know that a month off is not an option with a foreign language.
Surely, I am type-A enough that I could force myself to plan for those three paused subjects. We could spend a spare two hours a day plodding through lessons with little energy or enjoyment. We could get them done, but there would be little quality in the learning.
Instead, we are able to spend that time together snuggling under blankets and watching movies, or reading by the fire, or playing card games. Honey and King Bee have been helping out around the house, and we've all been laughing more than usual, given my added work.
Homeschooling gives me the freedom to remain happy and human.
I'll post when there is time, which might not be for a while! Miss you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congratulations on your book project!
Exciting about the book project! Congratulations.
Post a Comment