I am the first to admit that healthy living is one of the areas where I am uncharacteristically lazy. But the last few weeks of introspection have really made it clear to me that this is the WORST place for me to be a procrastinator. Taking care of me needs to be priority one.
I used to blame it on my husband's utter repulsion toward healthy eating, or my lack of interest from the rest of the family, or the lack of funds to join a gym, or a million other things. Well, time has come for me to own that fact that all of those things are just excuses for the mere fact that I am, for whatever reason, sabotaging myself.
As such, I am starting ot take baby steps toward reclaiming a healthy lifestyle. I am going to try to add three things each month, until they become habit, and then move forward with more. My aim is that by the end of the year, I will be back to a lifestyle that resembles healthy living.
1) Have dog, Will travel--I have frequently passed on short hikes because neither of the kids was interested in going along. I have come ot realize that I was using their apathy as an excuse. I have dogs, and they are the most eager walking buddies around. They don't whine about the cold, either. Goal: Three 2-3 mile hikes a week.
2) Green Eating--I am going to satisfy my tastes and desire for healthier eating in meal planning FIRST, instead of bending to the tastebuds of the men in the house. If they want junk, they can both drive themselves to the store to get it, or order out on the nights that I work. But when I am cooking, I am taking back control. And that means LOTS of vegetable based dishes! Hmmmm!
3) Healthy Habits--
Tea drinking- While I still adore my two cups of HOT coffee in the morning, I have added hot tea drinking to my day. I have read too many articles about hte benefits of both black and green tea to simply keep ignoring it. I have, however, decided to use an old-fashioned tea kettle, staying away from the microwave.
Sinus Care--I finally purchased and have begun using a Neti Pot. I admit it felt a bit awkward the first few uses, but I have fallen in love with it. The feeling of the warm water cleansing my sinuses in the morning and relieving sinus pressure is amazing. I had woken with a sore throat the other day, and it only took a cleansing and hot cup of tea for it to completely clear up.
Annual Checkups- I am notoriously lax in this area, but no more. Last week, I went to the eye doctor and found that I indeed needed my Rx tweaked. My new glasses are wonderful, and my vision is crisp again. In the next few weeks, I have scheduled appointments for the dentist and mammogram. Gotta get it done.
I am really feeling good about reclaiming my time for my health. I always put everyone and everything before me, and it is simply foolish. I feel great after a hike, or a healthy meal. I hope that as I continue on this path, the rest of the family will decide to jump on board. But if they don't , I will no longer let their poor choices effect mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Good for you. I always put myself last and it's not good. I probably need new glasses, but don't want to spend the money....yet Nels goes regularly and gets his glasses or contacts. And exercise....when? You're right, I just have to walk out the door with the dog...maybe when it's warmer though! Until then I'll sip tea :)
Great to hear from you!
I'm going to set up my appointments too.
Especially the eye doc! ;-)
Can I recommend not too old fashioned? there are really good electric kettles with automatic shut off. I even have a cordless (the base is plugged in but the kettle itself just lifts off when you need to pour boiling water). Very sensible. And often pretty, too. (I have NO use for a microwave, though.)
All good, achievable goals. Those kids are getting big and independent. Focusing a bit more on yourself is probably long overdue.
Investing time and energy in your health is the best investment you can make. Everything in life is better enjoyed if you are feeling strong and healthy.
Glad to hear that you are putting yourself on your priority list!
Good for you, Angela.
Just don't upload a neti pot demonstration to youtube, okay? I freely admit I watched several videos there when I had trouble the first time, but, really, that base is adequately covered so please don't go there :-)
People who don't neti don't know what they're missing!
Post a Comment