Monday, January 12, 2009

Rested and Refocused...

I have been so focused on finding a better balance for all things in my life these past two weeks. I haven't blogged, which was partially being forgetful but also part of a private introspection.

I've made some changes that feel very good. I am sleeping in until at least 7am most days, which is a delightful +3 hours for me. The extra rest is giving me both more energy while I am awake, and much more patience with my family.

The balance was to then find an additional +3 hours during the waking part of the day to still do all I had to do. Finding more time is a universal wish that seems futile, until one really analyzes their habits. I don't want to live my life as if it is a business, but with so many responsibilities I cannot simply wing it.

ESTABLISH PRIORITIES

My priorities had really gotten out of focus. The co-op business was easiest for me to handle early in the day when the kids still slept, but often bled late into the morning, our homeschooling time. The kids have been doing most of their book work alone. While I am happy that they are showing diligence and capability, our homeschooling lifestyle is not as vibrant as it used to be.

I am no longer willing to be a distracted presence to my kids and their education. We realize that a lot of the fun in our homeschool was because we worked on projects and activities together, sharing the experience. We talked as a family, and decided that we are going to commit 10am-2pm to homeschooling (and other emergencies). That includes scheduling things like doctor's appointments and errands before or after that time.

MAKE FLEXIBLE LISTS
I have always been a list maker, simply because I have a memory like a sieve. But I used to drive myself crazy, compulsively feeling as if I needed to accomplish every item on my list that day before going to bed.

I have recently shifted gears with this and made my lists flexible. I have mentally cut myself a break, and divide my to-do list into three sections.
The first are the mandatory things for that day that cannot be skipped, such as bill deadlines or going to work. The second are those things that I have to complete by the next co-op teaching day, such as lesson plans and photocopying. The third are things that I really should do if I find the time, but can be bumped to the next week (like mending or store returns.)

This flexibility has given spontaneity a place in our lives again. We can decide to drop it all and go ice skating or bake bread because the idea came up. The world will not

AVOID THE PAC-MEN:
Analysis showed that I was giving up a lot of time to communication for the co-op. While communication is so important, I was finding that a quick call to discuss one issue usually turned into a half hour chat about other things. This is especially challenging when the calls are to close friends. What should have been a five-minute discussion of one topic is rarely so. As soon as we open our mouths, it is like a Pac-Man pops out and eats twenty minutes up before I know it. When this happens four or five times in one day....my time is sapped.

As such, I have put a limit on phone chatting. It is often as much me as them, as I am a social girl. But I have chosen instead to communicate small things via email, where I can still handle all issues without losing so much of my day to pleasantries.

JUST SAY "NO"

I've also had to really analyze outside commitments. Determining the "real" time versus perecieved time has been a real eye-opener. Realizing it is not simply an hour of bowling once a week, but the forty-five minutes to and from, in the middle of the afternoon. Rarely did the kids come home ready to refocus on academics. When asked their thoughts, they told me they would rather skip it and just get done with school, I happily agreed. They would rather go for an hour's hike near home with the dogs, or just bowl with friends later in the day when the mood strikes.

I have also found more time now that Buzz can drive, as I am no longer having to chauffer him to and from his activities. As such, I have stepped away from the feeling that I need to sit at every meeting, in case other scouts wish to talk with me as a merit badge counselor. Instead, I sent out a schedule that I will be available at meetings the third Monday of each month , and that I can be reached via email or phone at other times. Again...more found time.

I've also told my job that I am only available for two shifts a week, and no weeknight shifts starting before 4pm. It just was not working to rush through the days, trying to get the teaching done and dinner organized and all my chores done before 1:30pm. They were very receptive, and it is a great trade-off.

DOUBLE UP WHEN POSSIBLE

The other way that I have found more time is "doubling" up. When I am making one lasagna, I make a second to go into the freezer for a later date. This makes future meals much easier when I find myself too busy to prepare a normal meal.

I have also applied this idea to my lesson planning for the classes I teach at the co-op. I am trying to fully prepare and get all photocopies done for two-three week periods. It doesn't take that much longer to do it all the one time, and saves me from pulling out all the materials over and over, as well as extra trips to Staples.

The end result is that I have found the extra time in my days. I even find I am getting more done because of the added energy, so I have more free time on Saturdays...our family day.

Now, to just start taking the time to blog again regularly....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I was feeling proud that I'd just started getting up at 7 a.m., which is at least an hour earlier than I have been waking up. :-D I think you've been taking wise steps toward finding the right balance in your life.

Anonymous said...

It all sounds great. Sleeoing till 7 would be a luxary for me too. ;)

I usually operate of a "must do" list.

sarah said...

You were getting up at 4am?!! Holy cow. I have had my dd trained since she was little not to wake me up before 7.30am!

You are one of the most conscious and organised people I know. I'm so admiring.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mama MOnkey on the 7 a.m. thing. I have to set the alarm if I need to be up before 8.

But this all sounds like you did some serious reflecting and prioritizing. Good work. And good luck.

Maybe next on your list, now that the co-op is up and running, is getting more people involved in the running of it. So that things can be delegated and you don't have to do so much.

Theresa said...

Just reading about your days exhausts me!LOL!
But seriously, I am glad you have found ways to use your time more efficiently and to get more sleep. It will pay off in health benefits in the long run.