We have decided to take a new twist on the concept of the summer reading list. This year, Honeygirl and I are selecting a list of three books that we will read simulataneously. We will meet together a few times a week over meals and discuss the ideas in the books, and possibly pursue some activities related to the reading .
The first book she selected is "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai lama. She has been fascinated with his story since his historic visit to our area last summer. She also has become very aware in recent months that happiness is a choice we can all make, despite our circumstances.
Still, some concepts in this book are more mature, which I feel makes it a perfect choice to read and discuss in this way. My dear friend at Learning Umbrella has helped us with our activity idea: Thirty Days of Happy.
We will both journal throughout, and then share our joy.
We are going to make a trip to the book store and library before making our other two choices. If any of you have any book suggestions for us, please share!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Great idea. I'd like Hels and I to do some co-reading as well. She wants to read Weir's "Eleanor of Aquitaine." I'll be interested to see what else you choose.
Lol, we are reading Eleanor of Aquitaine here! We love it because Eleanor is an amazing woman and hers is an incredible story. Honey actually might like it too.
I think your idea is brilliant. I have been wanting to do this kind of thing with Rose also. I'm looking forward to when she's older and we can do it on the same level as you and Honey.
It sounds like a great summer project, and The Art of Happiness is actually where I got the idea to do 30 Days of Happy. Have fun!
Have you chosen your books?
Post a Comment