I finished both kid's portfolios yesterday in a marathon session that ended around 2am. I completed Honey's first, as it was a simple task of taking photos of some of her art work and putting in report cards from co-op classes. Isn't this watercolor completion excercise lovely?
It took a LOT more work to get Buzz's portfolio together, as expected. I even handed some of the easy tasks to him (compiling typed reading lists, curriculum, etc) And I was controlled enough to remind him only a handful of times how angry I was that he can remain a disorganized procrastinator only on his own time! :) He did in fact apologize numerous times, and made me a hot ham and cheese sandwich without prompting, worried that I hadn't taken a break to eat. Yes, things will be much better when I am just mom and not teacher!
The Bad:
Honey had a health scare. On Tuesday morning, she collapsed when she got out of the shower. After a warm breakfast and a little time, she wanted to try to go to co-op for the last day. She made it through lunch before she was feeling dizzy again. Buzz drove her home, and she snuggled on the couch all day. While she was no longer dizzy, I was just uncomfortable with the whole thing. Collapsing is NOT something to take lightly.
So I forced her to go to the Dr the next morning against her stoic protests. I am so glad I did. After a series of test, it was determined that 1) her sugar is fine and 2) she has significantly low blood pressure. Her standing BP drops 10 points from when sitting, and that would explain dizziness upon rising. While the doctor reassured us this is common in young women, we are going to be continuing with tests to rule out any issues with her heart.
Still, we are worried about this. We definitely are altering our break-neck paced plans for Florida (much to my joy!) to a more lazy and safe pace, hoping to avoid other episodes. She is pumping up her fluid intake, and we are hopeful that dehydration had a lot to do with it. Still, she is worried. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!
My hubby brought me a gift yesterday. He is currently running a road reconstruction job in Southeastern PA. The crews have been digging through the edges of a 200-yr old farmland, helping to install drainage for an area that has been flooding.
He noticed this pipe stuck in the red clay soil, and dug it out for me. It is in lovely condition, and the imprinting from the mold "short derry" makes it easily traceable to the Civil War-era. I realized I was having a seriously geeky moment when he mentioned that I was just as excited about this pipe as I was when he bought me jewelry from Tiffany's!

6 comments:
I hope this is nothing serious with Honey. I do know this can be a symptom of anemia or a thyroid imbalance. If she has a thyroid test, I would suggest using a DO. Standard testing doesn't catch everything and has a very large "normal range" that is too large. Good luck to you.
OK. I was in a rush. Not going to comment (but thinking the best for Honey) when I got to the GEEKY part. I am very jealous of that pipe being the historian geek that I am :)
i have always had low blood pressure, even when pregnant (my pressure was 90/60 when i was in labor!). dehydration makes it worse, so encourage her to drink plenty of water and try not to fret, mama. {{{HUGS}}}
HUGS, Angela. I had a similar issue with collapsing. It happened a number of times -- in my case, it turned out to be hypothyroidism. I was told dehydration can cause this. More HUGS.
Firstly, congratulations on getting the portfolios done! Superhomeschooler!!
Collapsing sounds scary, but I had this same issue to a lesser degree when I was younger. For me, it was a combination of anemia and postural hypertension. Which is to say, your BP drops when you sit down/get up. It's fairly common.
A friend of mine also gets it quite badly but in her case I do believe it has to do with hyperventilation (she's not aware that she's not breathing properly) stress and possibly some anemia. You would be amazed at the scary-looking consequences one can get from incorrect breathing.
But it is good to have everything thoroughly checked. I hope she gets a clean bill of health before you go to Florida so you can all relax completely.
That painting is amazing.
Nice job on the dog painting and on completing the portfolios. I don't envy you that task.
Hoping all is well with Honey. I bet that must have been scary for both of you!
Post a Comment