Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tip of the Week: Know Your Vacation Style


We are finally settled back into our lives at home after vacation. Unfortunately for us, over 17 inches of rain fell in Florida while we were there. We all tried to look on the bright side of things; at least we didn't suffer terrible sunburns or heat stroke. We did squeeze in some fun on the rides in the early morning hours before the rains filters in.
A rainy vacation certainly threw us a curve, and we quickly realized some glaring differences. I like to refer to them as "vacation styles" , following the traditional format for temperment. These differences might be something that can be worked around on sunny days, but become significant when weather limits your options.
There are those who are "relaxers" and those who are "adrenaline junkies." While relaxers might enjoy a day at an amusement park and AJ's can similarly enjoy a sunny day at the beach, all things change in the rain. Honey and I are relaxers, and really did not enjoy walking around the parks day after day in our plastic ponchos, hoping the rides would start running again. But our fun-seeking male counterparts were like addicts hoping for a fix.
Back at the house, Honey and I happily doned the same ponchos to go walking around the lake to watch the local wildlife, or happily sat sketching the digital photos we took. This drove our antsy men crazy. They instead sulked around surfing between all the weather channels, bemusing the continued prediction of storms. Any suggestions to visit museums or indoor activities (other than an arcade) was quickly shot down.
So, we left our vacation irritated with each other , which is never fun. This trip definitely convinced us that while we love each other dearly, we really need to consider taking separate vacations in the future!

4 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

Sorry to hear you got rained out..
maybe you should have sent the men folk off to the arcade while you and Honey hit the museums.;-)

Sara said...

DH and I have the same problem on vacations. I am a sightseer, who will hit a vacation with a guide book and a list of things in that area that I "must" see or do. He wants to lounge around, mostly taking lots of naps or just chillin in one spot. We drive each other crazy, even when we have divided up the days of a trip into sight-seeing days and relaxing days.

Laurel said...

Someday you and I will vacation together....and we will have a BALL, no matter WHAT the weather! :O)

Theresa said...

Oh, man you picked the totally worst week to be down here, didn't you? What rotten luck.