Saturday, June 27, 2009

I'm M.A.D.D.!

Last night as I was leaving work I got the call that no parent ever wants. Buzz had been sitting at a stoplight, and was rear ended by a car that did not stop. He was hit with such force that both air bags deployed and his seat broke off the track. So much so that the ripple effect hit not just the car in front of him, but caused that car to hit the one in front of it as well.

Buzz assured me he was fine, and that no one was hurt in the incident. He was worried, however, that the car was totalled. When I arrived , I confirmed his fears; not only was the trunk in the back seat and the hood crumbled, the entire frame was bent. No matter how much he reassured me, I still had to hug the dickens out of him with relief that he was indeed okay.

The car that hit him, an Audi, was a good thirty-five feet back from the three-car pile up. It seems that after she hit him, she threw it in reverse, hitting another car. She then tried to drive into oncoming traffic to flee.
One look at this 60+ woman, and I knew she was totally drunk.

Luckily the cops were onto that as well. Buzz gave his statement, and we found that after she had caused TWO accidents in mere seconds, she stumbled from her car and walked to his. She bent over and tried to push his tail light back into its' hole and to push his trunk closed. She then handed the other teen (fron the car in front of Buzz) a card with numbers to call for her husband. He obligingly called, and they heard a phone ringing ten yards away. It seems she had forgotten he had been in the car with her. Oh my...

Her car was searched, and they found liquor store bags with empty bottles in the back, and she was arrested and taken to jail for drunk driving, with further charges possible for attempting to flee the scene.

The boys actually had a moment where they felt sorry that she was being taken to jail. I suppose I looked like a pit viper when I replied that I hoped it was the worst experience of her life and she is mortified and humiliated, since she could have killed them. I pray her license it taken, so she can be a lush only at home.

I was grateful and relieved last night. Our boy was fine, thank God. But this morning I am so very angry. My father had been an alcoholic, and I really struggle with baggage from that. I just do not understand the idiocy of drinking and driving. My crowd managed designated drivers all through our twenties without missing any fun.

Honestly, I do not understand the idiocy of drinking to drunkeness in adults. We all have crappy aspects of our lives, stress or sadness. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it. Stop using booze to try to escape your misery; sober up and change your life, period. I am without compassion for this.

I'm even angry about the inconvenience of this, if I want to be petty. I had to call off work today, to force Ty to be checked at the ER (as the police suggested we do after he sleeps on it), handle all the insurance and to go to the salvage yard. This was our extra car, one that was reliable, but unfortunately worth next to nothing in book value. While her insurance will surely cut us a check, we will probably not find something else decent for that amount of money.

This morning, I woke early and had to sneak a peek in his room. I stood there watching the rise and fall of his breath, and tears welled in my eyes.
The unthinkable could have happened just that fast.

Now I understand M.A.D. D. in a way I never have before. You would need to have a place to direct all the anger. I'm ready to go postal now, and my boy is at home safe, sleeping in his bed. It's time to join the local chapter...

6 comments:

JoVE said...

I'm so glad he is okay. And wow talk about drunk. Geez. I'm surprised she got the thing on the road. You have every right to be angry. (And I hope the law takes the severity of impairment into account.)

Theresa said...

Oh, thank God he is ok! What a terrible ordeal! And fwiw I'd be very,very angry too. I was rear-ended last year by an elderly woman who had evidently aged past her driving years. I felt sorry for her, but mostly angry as not only was my car totaled, but Superboy was in the car with me and it could have been so much worse. People just don't think about the potential costs when they get behind the wheel in an impaired state and that to me is the ultimate in selfishness.

Stephanie said...

I am thankful he is O.K. and no one was hurt. And of COURSE you're furious. HUGS.

Sarah said...

Thank goodness he's OK. I am betting he will never drink and drive. I hope you find a decent car.

Sara said...

Thank goodness no one was hurt. Of course you're mad, but I'm thinking - what a great lesson to those teen drivers. I bet they'll think of that woman before they ever get behind the wheel like that.

Of course, being a lesson to others does not excuse her and I hope her license is removed and she has to at least do community service or something.

sarah said...

Oh my goodness, how did I miss this post?! You poor thing, what a shock for you! Thank heavens he is okay.