Warning: this post includes obscene amounts of gushing over our co-op, and a little bit of self-praise. Forgive me...I'm busting with pride!
Remember that only a little more than a year ago a few of my friends and I had this idea to start our own co-op? We had an amazing first year, with great teachers, tireless volunteers and wonderful kids. My asst director and I ended up doing the lion's share of all administrative tasks, but it's works out well. We have an amazing partnership, with each of our strengths complimenting the others lack.
We both see the importance of organization and early planning as well. So,
we made sure we had our catalog and schedule out in late April. We began taking registrations from returning families who wanted to be with us all day this month, as some weren't content to wait until our Open House last evening. Homeschoolers are generally notorious procrastinators, so we thought this would just give them a chance to ponder the possibilities.
Imagine our surprise when the registrations started pouring in every day? Classes filled up quickly, and then closed, all before our Open House? I received registrations from 26 returning families so far, 8 of whom had only come for one or two classes last year. It is so amazing to know that people love what we have created here, and are so eager to come back.
Yet nothing prepared me for the response from others through word of mouth. Picture my shock when new families, so excited after having visited last spring, showed up at my doorstep with registrations in hand over the last few days, hoping to get in? I had a stack of new registrations at my house to process even before the evenings' event!
Our Open House was a huge success. I walked around a bit flabbergasted with sheer amazement. What gorgeous displays from all these great women and men who volunteer to teach, eager only to be part of our group! What excitement coming from the new parents and children, all asking how they can volunteer and start meeting others! So many more lovely and talented folks, acting like they won the lottery when they found there was still space in the class of their choice.
Last night, we added 17 new all day families! The response from the local homeschooling community is unbelievable! And we haven't even begun taking registrations from those who just want to pop in for a day or two...YIKES!
I am admittedly feeling quite proud of this little business. All during the year, I am like Old Mother Hubbard, embracing and encouraging all the children that live in my "shoe", so to speak. I have the blessing of such great families who consistantly thank us, and offer help, so very grateful for the work we do to ensure that everything runs smoothly. We are a great extended family.
And still, I am amazed that so many others can step in from outside for just a peek, and really *see* that as well. Time and again I heard the same words last night, how our families had told friends how different and supportive our people are than other groups, and they wanted to be part of it as well. One Dad heard such a conversation, and interuppted to say that "It started at the top, and this lady's goodness and standard of excellence are what is attracting so many of us to the group. We all want to do everything we can to rise up to me her." Whoa!
So, forgive me if I am sounding proud today. Better words would be "affirmed" and "successful" but it is hard to bring that feeling across!
Best of all, I so love what I do!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
This is all so good, I just wish we had something like this close by. I realize more and more I cannot teach it all, especially as Amelia gets older.
You are right to be proud. You have worked hard. And you do have high standards both in terms of educational content, and in terms of interpersonal relationships. I'm so glad this is being recognized.
That's awesome!
Wallow in it..we won't mind!
;-)
This is great!! I am so proud of you!! For doing all the work, creating the success, and acknowledging it! Go cousin!!!
Also, you have inspired me more than you can ever know over this past year. Today our own co-op met and decided we had to close our intakes, create a waiting list, and require registrations. We all felt so proud, although you could mainly tell it only through the shy smiles. Considering it was just me and one other mother over a kitchen table saying "I wish" two years ago ...
And it's in some part thanks to you, as I've been spurred on by your energy and your example. I even showed your co-op website to others in my group and they were inspired too.
The idea of an Open Day is so great! I'm thinking I might steal that one too ...
Wow! What a great affirmation of all your work! Congratulations!
Congratulations - that is truly wonderful to hear. I'm so glad your business has gone well. I wish we lived close enough to benefit from it - it sounds awesome!
Post a Comment