I am still entranced with the wonderful performance of Julius Caesar we saw yesterday at Willpower Shakespeare Festival at DeSales University. It challenged the senses, as the scenery was Roman, the speech was Elizabethian English, and the costumes were modern day business suits and military fatigues. The actors were professionals, and as such, did a fabulous job. (sorry folks, but I am a bit of a snob about most high schools attempting Shakespeare...the weak acting usually distracts one from Shakespeare's powerful use of words.)
Before the show, however, our teens were treated to a variety of workshops given by the actors. HoneyGirl's group did one that focused on characterization through body movement. Her second workshop was called "Words before Blows: The Power of Persuasion" , and discussed how Shakespeare used tools of rhetoric and the actors used emphasis to stir the crowds. I was thrilled to have them teach these kids about pathos, ethos, and logos in arguments , and the kids all embraced it quickly. Other workshops offered were "Stage Combat: The Illusion of Violence" and "To Stir Men's Blood: Words as Weapons." The groups that took part in those were equally thrilled.
Best of all, we met up with old friends and new and were able to have a leisurely lunch on the beautiful campus . For the first time, Honey is actually considering what the college experience can offer beyond classes, and the idea of living on campus is met with a smile. Yes, it was raelly one of those golden days!
3 comments:
How fun! This looks like a great day. We always enjoy Shakespeare and are lucky to have two top-notch annual events nearby – The Ohio Shakespeare Festival at Stan Hywet and The University of Akron Shakespeare Festival/American Shakespeare Center On Tour – and try to attend both. I agree, Shakespeare is best left to seasoned performers.
What a great day!
I've missed you, and I am hoping to get back into my regular visits..lol.
How fantastic!
I'm a Shakespeare snob too.
Post a Comment