Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Celebrating the Season...

I am utterly rested. What a glorious statement at this time of year. The gifts are all wrapped, the house is decorated, and all that is left is more baking today. Still, I have not felt rushed in any of it.

I've been having quite a bit of fun with the kids as well. Buzz was recently hired at the toy store where I work, as two of the teens gave their notices immediately after getting their Christmas bonus checks. He is doing quite well, I am told, though I did request that if at all possible we not work together ;) One skill he needed to learn quickly was how to wrap gifts, as it is a complimentary service we provide. We spent a fun afternoon together in lessons we termed "Gift Wrapping 101. "

HoneyGirl and I have fallen into a fun habit. On the nights that I work, I come home too wired for immediate sleep. Honey, a true night owl, is waiting for me with a selection of movies, a roaring fire, and a prepared snack. We've been up laughing past midnight all week. We both realized how much we needed to just have fun time together, not just running errands and homeschooling.

What a gift I have rediscovered in slowing down for a bit. I even discovered that I have enough peace to compromise a bit on the holidays. While I do not enjoy the tradition of Christmas Eve with my DH's dysfunctional family, he pointed out that it is the only tradition of the holidays that he has from his childhood. While admittedly screwed up, this is the only family he has really known.

At the same time, he respects the fact that it is really difficult for me because I have had lovely experiences in my childhood, yet my family is all but gone. We decided this year that we will go with fresh hope to the dinner, with the option of leaving early if trouble is afoot. In compromise, he agreed it is best to not extend open invitations for me to entertain his family on Christmas day, and instead we are spending a family day alone together. Maybe I will decide to take some time during all the relaxing to finally do my Christmas cards ;)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Merry Christmas!

Theresa said...

Merry Christmas !!!!!

Jennifer said...

Sounds balanced, and wonderful, and the way it ought to be.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Angela, to you and to your family, and wishing you all every happiness in the upcoming year!

Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely. And a good compromise. Have a very merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas -- great to know that you are really have a time of rejuvenation.

We have tried to be low-key, low-expectations this year, and I must say it has kept my mood (despite my PMS!) steady and calm.

Sounds like you have a good compromise for the holidays -- it is so helpful if both partners can consider what they really need.

Being home with just the 4 of us today was wonderful!

Sara said...

Hope it went well! Merry Christmas