Last Saturday, Buzz left for work full of excitement. He was to have a first date with a special girl he has been interested in for a while. They were going to go to the 7:15p showing of the movie "Spirit" at the theater by our house.
But as the day progressed, a heavy layer of fog fell over our valley. I started to feel a true sense that something terrible was going to happen. I've gotten this weird sense of foreboding before, and have learned that I am rarely failed by listening to it. It's far different than just an over-protective parent worrying feel, but something that lingers deep in my bones.
I told KingBee, who has also learned to respect these premonitions(I am not fond of the connotations that go along with that word choice; but it is the best we've found to describe this). We checked the weather service, and they had indeed listed a fog advisory. This girl lives a half hour away on unfamiliar roads, and Buzz is a new driver. When he got home from work, we told him that we were sorry and needed him to reschedule the date for another time, but that safety was more important. He was disappointed, but understood. We didn't think much more about it.
Early Monday morning, I was watching the local news. The pictures that I saw gave me chills. Five boys were in a tragic car accident, on their way to the 7:15 showing of "Spirit" at the same theater, only a mile from the theater. The wrecked car was the same color and size as the one Buzz would have been driving. One boy was killed, and hte other four are in critical condition.
I still get chills every time I think about this close call. When they gave more information about the boys, I realized that Buzz knows them. They were all boy scout friends, from another troop that we have often done group activities with over the years. Buzz and the guys from his troop are pretty shaken up about it as well.
I am just filled with sorrow for these families and friends, and with somber gratitude that I was given the gift of premonition so that our boy wasn't there at that time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Goosebumps is putting it mildly. Always trust the gift. As if you need to be told that!
Sorry to hear that, and glad Buzz is okay. Even without the premonitions, it is a good idea to check the weather forecast and not drive in things like thick fog or freezing rain.
What a horrible tragedy -- how is BuzzBoy taking it? And thank God for your gift. HUGS.
What a sad story, so glad that your boy is OK and that you respected your instincts.
Have you read that book "The Gift"? It is basically about trusting those feelings because they are there to keep us safe.
What an awful tragedy. My heart goes out to the families of the other boys. I'm so glad you knew to listen to your instincts. They are obviously well-tuned in to the harmonies of life all around us.
Wow! I still have chills all over my body. So sad for those boys and their families but how amazing that you heard the inner voice and actually listened.
Post a Comment