Friday, December 19, 2008

Stepping off the Treadmill

Thanks for all of your notes of concern over my allergic reaction. It is a pretty scary thing and I probably shouldn't have been so blase about it. I didn't mean to frighten any of you at all; I suppose it is years of living iwth incidents like this that I take them in stride. I have come to look at the cookie swap as both a blessing and yet another funny example of life imitating an episode of Seinfeld.


The blessing is that I was forced to step off the treadmill of my life this week. The physical reaction was pretty serious, and my body needed a few days to recover fully. Which meant crossing all the extras off the calendar, and just relaxing. We did no schoolwork beyond the algebra midterm; and I did no lesson planning, nor any co-op administration.

Instead, I sat an unwrapped ornaments, while Buzz and Honey decorated the tree. The kids cleared the pictures off the mantle to be replaced by stockings and candles. We did a lot of pleasure reading by the fire, and I slept in until at least 7am all week long. (huge for me...that's an extra three hours a day!)

We've all been a little giddy, in fact. The holiday spirit has indeed snuck into our home...we just needed to slow down enough to notice it. We all have been making plans with friends to do some special celebrating. Yesterday, I had a great day out with my girlfriend that deserves it's own post, with pics.

There is snow and sleet coming in today, so we will do some baking and wrap some gifts to place under the tree. I think I will even find hte time to get those holiday cards out-better late than never. Wishing you all some holiday joy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better but -- good Lord! is that post time accurate?!

Sounds like you are settling in for a cozy holiday. I will be with you doing those last minute cards!

Anonymous said...

If 7 am is sleeping in, you do need to step off the treadmill :-)

Glad you are relaxing and enjoying the season. Keep that up. And you could make a routine out of 7 a.m. or even 6. (Personally, I set the alarm for 7:30 if I have to be anywhere in the morning.)

Sara said...

It sounds like you need the rest, and I'm glad you're getting it. Happy Holidays.

Tara said...

Glad to hear you are slowing down and enjoying things. Sometimes I like it better when a holiday sneaks in and catches us off guard – it's more fun that way.