This week I will be working with my friend Kim to design the sets for our musical theatre classes production of "Annie." And while it is a big task, I am actually looking forward to the creative outlet.
In past years, the sets were painted onto giant sheets of cardboard and then tossed. But that seemed like a huge waste of effort. I would rather invest the money is some permanent sets now, so that each year we can just redesign them according to the show.
So I asked Kim, our art teacher and former professional muralist. She exploded with ideas. We are going to use foam insulation panels, 4' x 8', and are painting them. She has designed sets in the past, and found that these are a great investment, because they are lightweight and so easy to paint over time and again.
I then turned to my ever-talented hubby , asking him to design bases for these panels. After a bit of discussion, he came up with an ingenous stand system that will allow us to turn the panels around, thus utilizing each side of the panel for different scenes. With more than two scenes, we can change out additional panels that are kept off stage. Plus, they are so light and sturdy, that we can also attach a third scene panel to the back if we wish.
HoneyGirl and BuzzBoy helped him build the six stands while I was at work yesterday. I'll be painting them today, and then we will be transporting them all to the church where we will begin the tasks of painting the panels. I'll be posting pictures of the sets as we go.
This is so much more fun than cleaning the house for Easter dinner!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is so cool!
I cannot believe I missed you at
LSC. It would have been great to meet you!
I know your hubby is smart but if his stands don't have wheels on them (the kind with brakes), you might want to add that to the design. Make stands for all panels, wheel them in out and around...
Great project!
That sounds really cool. Post some pictures of how they turn out!
You forgot to mention that not only have you found a creative way to spend your week, but you've also saved the director's sanity...possibly quite literaly! :O)
Post a Comment