Friday, May 29, 2009

Buzzing around College Orientation

Buzz registered for college classes last night! We both attended a nice student/ parent orientation at the local community college. The first half hour was an introduction from the college president, and then they divided the students and parents into their own separate sessions.

Earlier in the day, Buzz asked me if we could talk about classes that might be solid choices for him and to show him how to read a course catalog. We spent over an hour perusing and discussing options that would make for a solid yet interesting first semester. He laid out two potenial schedules that will have him at school every day. It was so AMAZING to finally be in the role of helpful parent instead of resented homeschooling mom!

I am very satisfied that we have chosen community college for Buzz to start his college experience. This school has a large and modern campus. All the instructors have PhD. and mandatory office hours to help students. There are sports and community organizations and a myriad of counseling services available with only a single request.

The parent orientation was such an affirmation of the way we have chosen to educate for both of us. One of the speakers was a Dr. K from the math department, who brought in a copy of the syllabus from a beginning algebra class that she teaches. I watched with astonishment as she explained to the families how to show their children the important point of a syllabus, as most were panicked because their children had NEVER SEEN ONE!

The woman from the student services center discussed the available help options for tutoring. I was again dumbfounded when she mentioned "the challenge" that most of these freshman will face in writing their first major research papers of 6-8 pages, while explaining the online writing lab. I breathed another sigh of relief, because again I have had mine writing like this since middle school, and by high school they are producing four 10-15 page papers a year on top of all their other work.

Three hours later, Buzz and I were reunited. As we drove home, he bubbled over with enthusiasm. He will be taking Intermediate Algebra, Biology and Lab, English 105, Public Speaking and Psychology. He is already planning to spend at least two hours a day in the library at school, hoping to develop a good habit for when he is away at university and living in dorms next year. He will study more at home as well, planning to use the formula of 2 additional hours for each classroom hour.

He shared that a student representative spoke to them about writing the big freshman research paper that was so challenging, but encouraged the kids to not be afraid and get to it. All the kids around Buzz were panicking at the thought, wondering how they would manage such a daunting task. When a girl next to him asked his view, he replied with calm, "I've been doing four of those a year all through high school. No problem." She told him how lucky he was, and asked where he had gone to school! .

Buzz THANKED me for profusely at this point, and apoligized for being such "a tool" (his word) fighting me for all those years. It was a moment that I always had prayed would come, and I am grateful. He is at such a great place with me now, where I am finally an ally bearing good advice. He even came home and shared with KingBee how well-prepared he felt.

And this Queen Bee is buzzing around with delight! Tonight is our homeschool prom...so pictures are promised!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats--I have been smiling all the way through your post. Community colleges really impress me.

Theresa said...

Wonderful! It sounds like it could not have gone any better!

Garden State Kate said...

Yeah!! I can't wait to see the photos!!

Stephanie said...

There's nothing I love better than when a guy *admits* he's been a tool. Great news all the way around -- community colleges are wonderful.

JoVE said...

That all sounds great. And I have often advised students to use the 2 hours out of class for every hour in formula. It leaves lots of time for other activities and can be really effective. And using the hours between classes to do work is also a great idea. I hope he sticks with his plans.

(and congrats to you for preparing him so well)