
In my effort to seek joy last week, my best friend and I got together to start making the top for an adorable lap quilt. Over the course of the afternoon, I shared the story of how I had gotten into quilting in the first place. The more I thought on it, the more I wanted to share it.
My mother passed away when I was five-months pregnant with HoneyGirl. I had the emotional task of cleaning out her apartment. In one closet, I found a bag full of fabric, a pattern torn from a quilt magazine with a post-it that said "Quilt for Angela's new home." At the time, I was far too emotional to do anything other than put it all in a tote and put it in my basement.
A few years later, when Buzz had morning kindergarten, I found myself with two hours of quiet every day while HoneyGirl took a nap. I was at a place in my life where I could finally deal with the reality of her death, and as such, took out the tote. I knew nothing of quilting at that time. I laboriously cut every block with scissors. I knew nothing of stripping things together for quicker sewing; I did each block one at a time. The results were often uneven, but in each piece I spent time remembering my mother.
Thanksgiving came, and I packed it all away so we could use the dining room table. The Christmas holidays came and went, and I was still a bit too raw to bring it out to finish. MOnths turned into years, and I got a newer better machine and took a few quilting classes. I thought about taking it out a few times, and saw all the imperfections of my prior work and didn't have the heart to start over. So it sat.
But last week, when I shared the story with my friend who knew my mother well, I realized that the imperfections were exactly how the quilt should be. My mother was equal parts wonderful and disaster, if I am to be honest. How I loved her, and how she loved me. Perfection had nothing to do with our relationship.
I pulled it out again the next day, this time smiling as I worked to finish the backing and binding. Honey came down and listened to stories about my mom while I worked. We both realize that all she will know of her is pictures and these stories, and this quilt is a such a great rememberence. All that is left is to finish quilting through all layers with floss, and Honey is game to help with that work. I can hardly wait for fall, to snuggle under it by the fire.
4 comments:
Wow! This hit close to home -- you actually got me teary eyed. :-) My mom was also a quilter, and she died when I was about 5 months pregnant with Trishy. This quilt is SO beautiful, and I love the fact that you are finding joy and rich memories through this project.
What a beautiful story. My Grandmother's last quilt is sitting in a box waiting for me to put on the edging and back. I've never made a quilt and keep waiting for the right time. Thanks for reminding me and I'm glad you're pulling yours back out.
What a wonderful tribute for your mom....AND a legacy to leave for HoneyGirl....it looks like a beauty! Your mom is up there smiling, girlfriend!
Wonderful story. I especially like the bit about your mother being equal parts wonderful and disaster and your relationship having nothing to do with perfection. Something we could all reflect on from time to time, I think.
Post a Comment