Monday, August 31, 2009

Miraculously Healed by Sea and Sun

The sea has always been the perfect panacea for all that ails me. Again it has worked its' charms on my spirit.

Honey and I had a lovely afternoon. The morning was cool and grey, and we were the only ones on the beach other than a few runners who occassioned passed on their morning trek. Without the sun, the water was too chilly for swimming, yet we waded in anyway. We bundled in the extra towels and beach blankets after, giggling.

Our carpe' diem spirit seemed to please the sun, for it broke through the clouds and graced us with its' warmth, creating the prettiest beach skies we've had in years.
We talked and laughed and dreamed together. We meandered knee-deep in waves, selecting shells and sea rocks that pleased us.

I love this picture of Honey. She is so perfectly Honey in it: full of joy, irreverent, confident, beautiful. I am constantly amazed at her wisdom and center , something I only could have dreamed of possessing at fourteen years young. How blessed I am, to have a daughter that I can laugh with and enjoy with such ease.

After a few short hours, the salty calm of the sea air had cleared the cobwebs from my head. Honey, too, felt it's magical effects . I remember as well, how wonderful it can be through the off season as well. We challenge each other to remember how medicinal the sea and surf can be for us throughout the year. It is so silly that we can find this clarity and be so recharged with little more than a tank of gas, yet we do it so rarely. Honey is already blocking another day trip into the calendar before September is over. Smiles, all around!

4 comments:

Steph said...

That is a wonderful picture. So joyful and real!

Lisa Anne said...

When I picked Amelia up from camp a few weeks ago we drove straight to the beach (NewHampshire), spent the night and most of the next day before driving home. It was a perfect way for me to be completely present to her and let her have the space to tell me EVERYTHING about camp and dreams about the future. Just so much peace on the beach. (my new header photo is from that trip) I am glad you found time to spend with your daughter, I feel the same way about Amelia as you do your HoneyGirl. I had not one inch of the composure and self confidence as Amelia does at the same age. What a gift!

sarah said...

Such a lovely picture. Your dd is a blessing.

I am not a beach person and yet I can not deny its healing powers. I actually miss being able to go there.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a day near water and sand to get back to center. Looks like a very special time indeed.