Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Living in a State of Final Countdown...

I realized yesterday that I am living in a state of final countdown. My to do list could actually be shaped like a graduated funnel as well. Everything seems to be gauged around some event that is happening later, but it is rather funny to hear me say things like "I would love to get together, in _____ weeks, after ____is over."

My goal is to really try to enjoy myself and not become caught up in just checking things off my lists, and instead experience each activity along the way. Looking at the calendar, I happily notice that every week, we have at least one activity that will allow me to step off the merry-go-round for a while and enjoy myself. I need that to center myself.

So after a crazy week of grading a near dozen 15-20 page short stories and and equal number of tests for two other classes, taking a CPR certification course, working three shifts at the toy store, teaching my own kids, and organizing 18 visitors to come to the co-op, I will spend a day at Liberty Science Center with friends. Each week, my duty list shrinks, yet I have given myself some opportunity for pleasure.

I do believe this stategy will help me to thrive over the next seven weeks until the end of co-op and BuzzBoy's completion of high school instead of merely survive. In a way, I am enjoying the reality that I am lucky enough to have an end point to the chaos. I do believe that is one the greatest blessings for those in education. I get this respite in seven weeks, where my life will switch gears and give me time for creative endeavors.

Come on Summer!

4 comments:

sarah said...

I was exhausted just reading this post!

JoVE said...

Despite the end point and reprieve, I think it is also good that you are building in time for yourself even in your busy weeks. Too often we put that stuff off. Maybe next year you can build that stuff in all along. More in less busy weeks and 1 thing in the busy weeks. But always at least 1 thing that is for you. So you can thrive.

Anonymous said...

My life feels positively relaxed compared to yours. :-)

Sara said...

Keep taking some time for yourself, and it will be summer before you know it! One day at a time.