I am quite excited to be teaching a "dream class" at hte co-op next year...a literature approach to Ancient World History. I've always been turned off by the standard curriculum of both traditional and homeschool that tries to poorly cram 6,ooo or so years into 9 months of study. Plus, I feel that far too many kids get the joy of experiencing the classics of mythology, law, and epic poetry that they ancient period can offer.
Why would I take on this task? Because I have been so disturbed by a trend I have been noticing in all forms of education. Children are just NOT exposed to the classics in upper education any longer. JoVE sent me a fascinating article yesterday, where a college professor bemuses the very fact of how the idea of a liberal education, and the fruits of such study, are becoming less valued. The trend toward more nad longer training, in lieu of such study, is worrisome in the very least.
As such, my goal is to create a study that teaches these kids to really learn from the great thinkers of the past. Anyone can memorize a bunch of facts and string them along on a timeline. Yet by combining multiple disciplines and hands-on activities and research, I hope that at least some of my students will embrace the culture, geography, scientific discovery and politic of a past era in a new way.
So before I get too far into the planning, I wanted to send some feelers out there to any of you who also share a fascination in ancient history and literature. Firstly, do any of you have any particular feelings on the myriad of poetic translations of the Iliad by Homer? Please share your experiences, as I don't want to purchase based solely on price and font size!!!
And while we will certainly cover "The Big Three" (Egypt, Greece & Rome) heavily, I want to delve into ancient China, Japan, Mesoamerica, and India. I know very little of the myth and literature of these places, and would appreciate any recommendations.
And yes, my goal is to share with you all once I'm done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This sounds a bit like a course I took my first semester in college. It sounds wonderful ... I can't wait to hear more.
Sounds like an interesting class. It might be nice to include the story of Rama – the Ramayana – from India.
Post a Comment