Monday, March 9, 2009

Thoughts on Procrastination, Problems, and Prom Dresses

I am not Catholic, but I have been studying a bit of the cathecism and traditions of late. This year, I have been fascinated by the practice of sacrifice at Lent, and decided to participate. Not one to go light on my first round, I decided to give up procrastinating.

Truth be told, I honestly didn't think that I had a great deal of trouble with procrastinating in general. I expected to address simple issues like not letting the wet clothes sit in the washer so long I had to wash them again. Still, when I really gave myself over to it, I realized I procrastinate an awful lot, as there is always too much to do.

The whole exercise, though, made me really take a new look at the idea of procrastination. Is it really procrastination if I choose to spend a half hour in a good talk with a friend instead of drudging through boxes in teh basement? I no longer think so. Having real joy in my everyday life is just as valuable as having everything on my to-do list finished. All in all, the whole exercise has been very enlightening.

Which is good, because BuzzBoy created a major drama through bad choices that is frankly, too embarrassing to even elaborate on. It was serious enough that KingBee drove up from Virginia midweek to pick him up and take him back with him same day for a serious talking-to. He's grounded for a week, but after that has lost the priviledge of trust. We now have to monitor his facebook, phone records, and he no longer has the freedom he once had socially. All activities need approval and parental supervision. Disappointing, but we hope that our seriousness with this instance will make him realize how bad choices can effect his future and others' views of his character.


On the positive front, HoneyGirl and I have had some fun together . She sat me down earlier in the week , wanting to hammer out her high school plan. She selected the classes she wants to take at co-op next year, and we did some research selecting the foreign language she will pursue. We watched some great movies like "Slugdog Millionaire" and "City of Joy", as last week's geography theme was India.

We even went shopping for prom dresses. A friend tipped me off that you can get many name brand dresses on ebay , so we went out, found her size and dress style, and then picked the same one up at 60% off! She's thrilled.

Now, off to do some paperwork...as we only have ten weeks left of school!

5 comments:

Lisa Anne said...

Hmmm...procrastination...guess I better get off the computer now.

And Prom dresses?? Is she ready for prom dresses? I guess it is just a matter time before that stuff starts coming up around here.

Anonymous said...

A great article I found through Mental Multivitamin: How to Procrastinate Like Leonardo Da Vinci.

Anonymous said...

Parenting is so difficult. I guess it never gets any easier. Sorry Buzz made bad choices. Hopefully he will learn from it.

Ebay, it's the best.

Garden State Kate said...

Hope Buzz learns from his mistakes,
and prom? Oh my!

Teacher of One said...

It's been a while since I've commented here... sorry to hear about Buzz. Maybe I can cheer you up with an award. Stop over and pick yours up!!