Sunday, March 15, 2009

Marching toward Spring

I am realizing more and more what a seasonal creature I have become.

I love winter...the crisp air, the frosty glass in the mornings, and the need for thick, wool socks. I am overjoyed when the snow falls because I know that after the shoveling is done, we can curl up by the fire and spend quiet time together; reading or playing games while we sip hot cocoa. I love our inward focus .

Then when spring approached, I morph into a busy, little wren; I dash from one project to the next and back again. I am very much of two minds during March and April. I am simulateously focused on finishing up lessons for this year with our homeschool, my classes, and the co-op. while busily planning anew the courses for next year for all three. I have a dual columned to-do list which makes this division more concrete.

And then, the recent addition of preparing everything for Buzz graduation. He took the SAT's yesterday, and feels very confident with how her performed. He really didn't understand why all his friends were freaking out, until at break he realized how much more he had prepared: Kaplan books, prep classes, timed essay practice, and years of vocabulary from Latin and Greek roots. He actually came home and thanked me for having the foresight! He and I hammered his last eight weeks out on paper this week, including applying and registering for college. So nice to be so close to returning just to being "Mom" for him!

And somehow I am enjoying myself immensly while I flit from grading papers to researching Hammurabi's code for next year's ancient studies class; then on to preparing the co-op course catalog to chatting on the phone with new families, or gathering costumes for the play next month. Just like a little wren, busily preparing her nest for the new arrivals: spring eggs.

My late spring clutch shall be of varied colors. One egg will certainly be green, as this year I need to get into that soil. I was so overwhelmed last year starting the co-op, and our gardens suffered mightly. We had little production, as the soil was sorely needing nutrients even when I planted. And I didn't do any canning or freezing at all. This year I am even looking forward to the stinky tasks of fertilizing the soil with aged llama poo and weeding, and can't wait for a big August harvest.

My next egg should be brown, representing my summer complexion from my draw to outdoor activities. The paths are just clear enough for us to start going out with the dogs again. Honey has the opportunity to start playing high school sports with the local Christian high school, and is over the top for fall field hockey. She realizes, however, that she is not in playing shape any longer , and needs to build up her stamina . We are redirecting a bit, and will spend more time running around the soccer fields than in the hills. I am thrilled with a reason to force myself to do the same.

This summer will be much different than last. I've been planning ways to find the balance between work and play. I will still need to plan and organize my lessons for the classes I am teaching, but I can research and lesson plan for my classes just as easily by the pool now that I have a laptop. I will not need to spend as much time on the phone promoting the co-op, as we now have families beating down our doors to enroll.

My girlfriend , an art teacher and gourmet cook, has proposed some afternoon get togethers with our kids for lunch and free painting lessons. I gladly offered to supply the paints! I have always wanted to learn more about painting...how exciting. Another girlfriend and I are going to get back in the habit of weekly tea and crafting, and I am looking forward to finishing a few projects I would love to wear next fall.

HoneyGirl and I have decided to invest in summer passes to a local amusement/ water park, as many of her friends are doing the same. We did it when she and Buzz were little, and they had a lot of fun. I enjoyed parts of it, but was regularly stressed with having to face my fear of heights standing in line for the taller water slides, etc. Now she is older, so I can sit and enjoy a book while they enjoy themselves on water slides.

Back to focus...I have to get this metaphorical nest built before I can enjoy the summer!

4 comments:

sarah said...

I am like you, very much changed in my patterns and my energy by the seasons.

Best wishes to Buzz Boy with his SATs!

JoVE said...

Wow. You are busy. And it all sounds really good. I'm glad things are going so well with you.

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the co-op business -- I feel like I've been coasting all winter and suddenly there is an explosion of thing to do for next year!

That is great about Buzz's SATs, and his recognition of your help. Sounds like even if he forgets temporarily, he knows (a lot of) what you've done for him.

Have fun with painting!

Garden State Kate said...

Sounds like all your energy went into the right garden last year,
and this year you can direct your energies to the "other" garden.
;-) May we all have a bountiful harvest!