Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Amazing News!

Buzz got the letter yesterday that he was accepted into the Honor Scholarship program at college this fall! He will have his schedule reworked, so that he will be in a track with all the other honors liberal arts freshman in special classes with faculty and advisors that work closely with the group. THe thought is to encourage the best and brightest to form a solid social and academic bond. He has already gotten a summer reading assignment and invitation to a meet & greet picnic in three weeks.

This letter, and the joy it brought, suddenly transformed Buzz from sullen and resentful to appreciative and thoughtful. I was eager to celebrate his success, replete with hugs and high fives. He asked that I please request off work so I am able to attend with him, because he wants the professors to meet me. (You're the one who made sure I had a great classical education filled with the great books and forced Latin!) He discussed his new classes, which only change sections other than replacing psychology with philosphy. He is suddenly looking at college with new eyes.

I am thrilled, for this is an ideal peer group , complete with faculty taking a special interest. His social life will also have an academic aspect to it, with study sessions and community service projects. Plus, he needs to maintain a 3.0 to continue earning scholarship--a huge incentive to apply himself. Already he is mentioning the possiblity of not transferring out after his first year but rather working through with his team, and he hasn't even met them!

Somehow I believe his last four weeks of summer has taken on a new light! Good for him!

9 comments:

rae said...

Wow! Congrats to you both!

Wisteria said...

I'm so excited for you both!

Lisa Anne said...

This is so wonderful! This is what it has been all about and now finally you are appreciated. Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

So happy to read about his success. It has to feel very good for you as well.

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

That's awesome! Congrats - to both of you! :)

sarah said...

How fabulous!! I'd always got the impression Buzz was a little bit of a poor scholar, obviously I was wrong! Congratulations to both of you!!!

JoVE said...

Congrats! This might be just what a teenager needs for motivation -- peers. Real peers. Smart kids like him.

Good job.

Stephanie said...

Wahoo! I am so happy and excited for both of you.

shaun said...

Woo woo! That is great news -- a great ending to your homeschool story and a great start for this new chapter.