Friday, July 31, 2009

A new concept--the Birthday Week...

I love making a big deal about birthdays for those around me. I've always enjoyed creating special meals, activities, and theme parties for my kids. I adore shopping for the perfect gift for friends. But I have never felt the same way about my own birthday. Not really being a martyr here; I am just better at giving than receiving.

When we realized that HoneyGirl was going to be at camp over my birthday, I realized that I actually had begun to look forward to the special little things she always did for my day. She has the same desire to celebrate with the ones she loves that I do, and always made it a point to make me breakfast , and pick out my favorite videos or take me to a favorite park. The boys always remember to give me good wishes (eventually), but it just doesn't have the same flavor.


Honey hadn't realized the overlap until the week before camp, and was quite bothered by it. She made me promise to call a friend and at least make a lunch date for the day. Before day before she went to camp, she asked me to drive her to the store to pick up my gift. For years I have wanted a cast iron dutch oven. Honey remembered, and bought me a blue one from Martha Stewart collection.

Then she sat me down and gave me direct instructions to have a birthday week. I was lectured on all I do for everyone else, all the time. She forewarned me of how short the summer is, and that life will be busy again before we know it. And that I need to take as much relaxation time as I can this week. Then, she made me PROMISE that I would do so. (how well she knows me!)

I am so glad I listened to her. On Monday, I had a lovely lunch with my girlfriend Tam at our favorite Mexican restaurant that no one else in my family enjoys. That evening, KingBee and I picked up the new Mazda CX-7, and found out that we got another 1,500 off in unexpected additional rebates. My dear friend Laurel must have secretly sent out an email to the co-op families about my birthday, as I recieved at least twenty email cards full of love and good wishes.

On Tuesday, I met dear Laurel for morning shopping, and I was ready to head home to lesson plan. But another friend called on the way home, and I remembered HoneyGirl's directive. Instead of my usual "I wish I could but I'm too busy," I said "That would be fun!". We had a lovely visit, and she took me out for Chinese buffet. As we sat laughing, I realized that my daughter really has wisdom beyond her years. I need this kind of thing!

On Wednesday, I slept in. I chose to divide my day between relishing "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and organizing the curriculum corner in the basement. I even went to Target and splurges on a new shelving unit and storage totes (that stuff is fun for me, geek that I am!) Buzz was kind enough to help me haul all the unwanted stuff to the car for donation for me.
Yesterday was a lovely mix of reading and laundry...and totally stress free. The bonus came with a special gifty from my adopted little sister, Michele, straight from California.

Now that I am totally into this idea, today will be another relaxing one. Buzz will be away for the weekend, so KingBee is planning a date surprise for tonight . Tomorrow we pick HoneyGirl up early from camp. The week's celebration will end tomorrow evening at my 25th class reunion, which I will attend happily with my best friend of equal years ,and leave the husbands at home!

I definitely have to remember to do something extra nice for my girl on her birthday!

3 comments:

sarah said...

Happy birthday darling cousin!! You deserve as much happiness as anyone can pack into a week.

And you know, Honey is wise and kind and generous because you raised her that way :-)


(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm glad to read you had such a special week.

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

Due to traveling and trying to catch up on sleep, I am VERY late - but happy belated birthday! Your plans sound awesome.

I love celebrating birthdays as well and can't wait until it's my Mom's. I'm already thinking of plans for her as it's sort of a milestone one, but only sort of. LOL