Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Making Fun the Priority

The irony of that statement is not lost on me. Yet is seems something that so many adults have to force themselves to do in these days. We have gotten a bit off track on this summer goal for the last week or so since Buzz's accident. There were so many calls and appointments with doctors, therapists, and claims adjusters. There was also all the completing of all the applications for Buzz's college honors scholorship program, the gathering of recommendation letter and transcripts. Then all the research and visits to test our cars and figure finances. Add to that the unexpected drama of a 15% rent increase from the church where the co-op is held, and I felt my stress level hitting the red zone.

I spent yesterday determined to get everything in the mail for the scholarship program and transcripts diploma program completed and in the mail. My assistant director and I met with the committee chairs for the church and board and negotiated a reasonable increase, though we feel we only dodged the bullet temporarily. KingBee has been arriving home late and exhausted, and we still hadn't gotten around to detailing our SUV for trade as we were planning to spend tonight at a car dealer again.

Which is the point where I decided we needed to make fun a priority. The car dealer will be there next week; I don't have to make any decisions now, especially those requiring a commitment longer than many marriages. In a few short weeks, I will need to be back to burning the candle at both ends. But not now.

We ordered pizza and popped in a DVD and relaxed as a family. I dug out a book and started reading late into the night, curled up on the sofa with a dog at my feet. I woke early to enjoy catching up with my friends via their blogs and email. Today, I am going to help Honey rearrange her furniture as she has been asking, and do a little swimming in the pool. If I feel ambitious, I might just reorganize the linen closet. Or not.

Tonight, instead of trying to squeeze in a dreaded night negotiating price with car salesman, the kids and I are going to a graduation ceremony and party for a few of our homeschooled friends at the local Catholic retreat center. We're going to laugh and dance and stay out late.

And for the rest of this week, we are going to keep making fun the priority. Summer is far too short to do otherwise!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Good for you all. It is way too easy to just be "busy".

JoVE said...

Absolutely. I've started looking for a truck. No fun. I don't even understand what all the options are. I just want a farm truck. Sent Mat to do a preliminary look round today.

Enjoy the relaxing. You deserve it.

sarah said...

Please forgive me for laughing - your "relaxing" is twice as busy as my "busy"!! But it sounds like a wonderful time :-)