Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Most Magical Season...

This has always been a magical season for us to celebrate. I'm a generous sort, and I love this season where I can focus on those around me and gift away. You see, it's only materialistic if it is obligatory! When you truly love the person you are gifting, the joy comes at the first ponderings of the "perfect gift." The gifts are not always monetary either, but can often be something homemade, or even the gift of time. (like when we gave a gift of pressure washing a house to a neighbor who wanted it done but couldn't afford it!)

Gifting is only part of my joy. I cannot wait to bedeckle my house. We managed only the lights so far, and funerals and out of town work will postpone our tree-trimming party until Dec. 12th. Still, I can hardly wait to have the living room aglow with lights, shimmering off ornaments of crystal and glass. I've already dug out the the stack of holiday music cds, to play in the background all day long.

I have the days right before Christmas off from retail this year as I undergo a procedure on the 18th. Knowing that I have this time at home, yet unsure of how I will be feeling physically afterward, I am planning some low key actitivies. The holiday cards will obviously wait until then (and my blogger friends, especially those who have moved, EMAIL me with your addys!) I have a few quick gifts to crochet, which will be the perfect project while watching stacks of DVDs together.

I am looking for some new holiday baking recipes (Honey is dying to try to make red velvet cupcakes ---any one have a tried recipe to share?) I have an early gift for her of cake decorating supplies and fondant, and I anticipate some afternoons playing with all of it. I'm excited to host Christmas Day brunch again, and would be interested in a few new recipes to try for that as well.

I am so brimming with holiday spirit that not even the grumpy mean shoppers at the toy store are going to get me down this weekend. I shall don my reindeer antlers and if necessary, beat the holiday spirit into them with candy canes! Joyful! Joyful! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest Honey check out the Martha Stewart Cupcake book. My daughter loves it so much she saved up and bought herself the book... and the red velvet cupcakes were the second recipe she made. (I think there is a pic in my archived posts.) Very yummy!
Good luck with your procedure.

Sara said...

Happy Holidays! Nice to see you back on the blog. :)

sarah said...

You make it all sound so wonderful :-) Good luck with your procedure. I hope it goes smoothly and that you recover quickly afterwards.

Sarah said...

Happy Holidays. I'm glad you're all feeling better. I need to get in the spirit myself!