Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A different sort of election commentary...

I am so pleased that this election is over. I have felt as if I have endured an unwanted scrutiny of my beliefs, logic, and character throughout . As a longtime Republican, I did not cross parties frivolously. Yet an attitude of disdain was fairly constant even while I tried to not enter into debate. It is so sad to see how people can allow themselves to be divided over politics.

What has baffled me the most has been the absence of mention of statistics based on presidential history. One only needs to look at the records to know that it was highly unlikely any candidate of the same party as a current adminstration could win when that adminstration had made such a royal mess of things for two terms. It's just the nature of the political beast. I am thankful that the president elect is an intellegent and thoughtful man with a plan, and hope that his wisdom will be reflected in his cabinet choices, and his ability to work through the mess he is inheriting.

Despite all of this, I have found a silver lining to this whole process. For the first time ever, I have seen the youth of our nation yearning to know more about the presidential candidates and actively take part in the process. My own kids have not just listened to the media's views, but did research and questioned to develop their own opinions. We've been able to discuss the electoral process, presidential history and the long traditions of viscious and untrue mudlslinging. Our teenagers have not just been talking to us about the issues, but discussing it with each other with fervor.

The most exciting news from last night was the increase in first time and young voters. This should thrill everyone, black or white, Dem or Republican. It shows that our youth have stopped floating along without thinking about the big issues that effect us. They chose to step up in unprecidented numbers to give voice to the concerns about our economy, our world, and our environment.

I hope that this interest in things beyond themselves continues to build a better tomorrow for us all. Echoing the sentiments of the eloquent concession speech given my John McCain, I sincerely hope that all Americans can stop politicing and start focusing on fixing the enormous problems our country is facing.

6 comments:

sarah said...

I love your optimism. When I saw that all these young people had been out voting I must admit my heart sank a little, wondering what they were voting for - ideals, principles, issues, or rock star glamour and a cool young black guy? But of course it is their country too, and maybe a youthful vision is just what America needs at this time.

Theresa said...

One of those young people out voting for the first time was my daughter, off to college in Chapel Hill, NC. I can't tell you how pleased I was that she called me up multiple times throughout the night to share her enthusiasm over the process. I couldn't be prouder to have raised a daughter who truly cares, who takes her newly earned responsibility very seriously, and who votes.

Jennifer said...

You know, I hope, sincerely, that I never made you feel scrutinized.

I couldn't have -- at least not in this context. I might have, previous to this context, because I've never been registered with either party, and I often wonder why people link up with groups of any kind, but then (excuse the massive run-away thought, please) I remember that I, myself, linked up with a group called Straight for Equality because I believe we're all equal, regardless of whether we bed down with the same or the opposite gender at the end of the day, yet I do not, and will not ever, agree with Straight for Equality's take on punishments for "hate crimes," because this is the United States of America, where all assault or murder ought to be punished equally and with equanimity, but beliefs ought not to punished at all.

What can I say? Joining Straight for Equality was the most convenient and expeditious way to keep informed and collect the appropriate names and addresses for when critical civil rights issues affecting gay people need to be addressed.

My straight kid's been assaulted. The reason doesn't matter. I want his assailant held every bit as accountable as the gay kid's assailant, and as a mother, I don't care if that's logical or not.

Maybe you've scrutinized yourself more than others have scrutinized you? Would that be so horrible, if we all self-scrutinized, as a matter of routine, even?

Maybe you're NOT a Republican anymore, but have turned Independent!

Doesn't matter; you've got good values, and you work hard to live up to them, and that's what it's all about.

I heard INCREDIBLE things being said by the youngsters in our campaign office yesertday, and I'll post about that as soon as I've caught up on my sleep.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Queen Bee!

Tara said...

Many of the young women Tess dances with voted for the first time. I was impressed with their maturity and knowledge of the situation and my feeling is that most younger folks took the time to research the issues and put some thought into the process. Most everyone I know volunteered as well, which I thought was just great.

Anonymous said...

I was also impressed by the turnout figures. Particularly because US voter turnout has been historically very very low. So that is a great sign. I was also impressed by how many people got involved in campaigning and hope that Obama can translate that into ways of being more involved in community in general, not just in "politicking" and getting someone elected. I think that is the key to real change -- getting more people really involved in their communities instead of focusing inwards on themselves and their immediate families. From the outside, the is just a lot of "I'm all right Jack" thinking that goes on in America. And I would think that particularly those like yourself who are deeply suspicious of more government involvement, particularly at higher levels, would want to show that people in communities are really working for communities and thus the state or federal government doesn't need to get involved to acheive those bigger goals.