Transitions are never easy for me. I am a creature of habit, comfortable with concepts like morning routines and weekly schedules. Much of it comes from having a very full plate, I'm sure. In theory, I can find time to fit every little duty in. But I am still trying to figure out the value of my pleasure activities.
One quick idea toward success was to offer to pay Honey to cook meals the night I am working. She has been helping for a while, but never took charge completely. I have been getting together some simple recipes for her, and just making sure the ingredients are all on hand. She has created a little notebook, writing everything down for herself. She is thrilled with the praise of her success, as well as the opportunity to earn a little cash for doing a job that is over and above. (I don't believe in allowances, per say, since regular chores should just be done as part of contribution. )
In reality, I am struggling to find the focus. It seems that now is the time of choices. Right now, I am choosing to blog with this free hour, instead of get another load of laundry started, because I know that the pile can wait until tonight. I am letting myself procrastinate here and there. I now keep a file folder for papers to be graded at my leisure, instead of obsessively doing them right away. I will always be so strongly Type A that letting a little slide will probably make me seem more normal.
I'm realizing, then, that I need to remember to focus on the joy. Yesterday, I spent the morning laying in bed with HoneyGirl watching a horror flick, because we hadn't had the chance to do so over the weekend.
She didn't start school until 1pm. That little bit of early freedom paid off, when she finished her 1-2 page story assignment with plus seven pages and aced an algebra test.
In the same vein, I am picking and choosing our way through the holidays. What activities are traditions we love, or just things we do year after year because we always have? What people are a joy to see, and which can we pass on this year? Do I really need to take a whole day to write out 80 Christmas cards, or can I simply email one standard greeting to all...saving both time, trees, and money?
This Thanksgiving week then, I will focus on the things I am thankful for, and search of a perspective that is bigger than the details of life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Enjoy your week! I have been thinking about asking Hels and Lou to cook one night a week, but have been too lazy to come up with an easy list of recipes for them.
Your approach seems wise to me. And you can afford to let go of routines and traditions that aren't working for you because, under it all, your lives have a sold consistent rhythm. Something I'm always struggling to attain. :-)
Post a Comment