Friday, November 14, 2008

Feeling Crafty....

I looked at the calendar yesterday, as well as a lot of my favorite blogs, and realized that the holidays are rapidly approaching. If I am going to consider any number of homemade gifts, I really need to start planning now.

My goal this year, however , is to also be a bit practical and try to utilize some of the bins and cupboard full of yarn and fabric I have been collecting. One could liken my habit of collecting everything fiber to a disease. And while I am not even hoping to recover from this penchant, I also realize that I can't buy anymore unless I make some room!

After spending an hour or so puttering around, I was amazed at the sheer volume of the stash. I have some favorite old stand-by patterns, like the flannel covered comfort bags that were such a success for teacher's gifts a few years back. I am also thinking about making a few simple tote bags with some other pieces stored away.

A few months ago, I whipped up a few crocheted cell phone holders that hang conveniently around the neck for HoneyGirl. She had this terrible habit of stuffing her phone in her pocket, and it would fall out often when she sat. I would post a pattern, but I never used one: just hte measurements of the phone. They were a big hit with her friends, and will be quick and easy to make for my female friends and family, and the perfect compliment to hold gift cards.

I am also dabbling to try to crochet HoneyGirl a funky guitar strap, for her acoustic. I've looked at patterns on the web for ideas, but will again try my hand at a self-designed pattern. The guys, unfortunately, don't wear scarves or wool hats, so I will have to think a bit harder on handmade gifts for them. Maybe knit golf club covers?

If nothing else, it is nice to give myself the break from all the lesson planning and business stuff to allow a little bit of the holiday spirit to sneak in. I'm off to grab some yarn, light a Gingerbread candle and get started!

5 comments:

sarah said...

Having seens some of your work (I still use and cherish my bookmark) I can't imagine anyone not being delighted to get a handmade gift from you.

Tara said...

Have fun! I've been knitting again too, but now I am being selfish and making something for myself. We aren't big crochet people around here (just because I don't know much beyond a single crochet) however, I picked up a great book at the library called Creepy Cute Crochet that has me inspired to try and expand my skills.

Sarah said...

I wish I knew how to crochet. We have a number of things in progress but need to finish something! I've decided to make the girls pajama pants but need to have an afternoon when they aren't around...

Garden State Kate said...

I love the idea of the guitar strap. Be sure to show us what you come up with.

Anonymous said...

You are one creative chick! My only resolution this year is to buy toys from a locally owned store instead of online. *LOL*