Saturday, November 1, 2008

Keep your Dysfunction to yourself!

Poor HoneyGirl is having a tough time of it with friends lately.

Last weekend, her BFF father had arranged for her to stay with us, as he was to be out of town for business. He is in the midst of an ugly divorce, where there is no cooperation. She planned for three weeks, coming up with all sorts of fun activities. Unfortunately, neither father or daughter decided to inform the mother of these arrangements until two days before .

Then, the night before (and after Dad is on a plane) to cancel the plans because she wants to leave for the weekend with the older daughter, leaving BFF to watch the 7yr old. I cannot imagine this girl being responsible for watching the younger, wilder sibling while the others trot out of state, but it isn't my call. A back and forth ensues for two hours over the girl's texts, where the mother (refusing to call me like an adult) asserts that I need to watch both kids for three day weekend for her or nothing at all. Not willing to go there, as we would be gone most of Saturday, plans were cancelled.

Halloween was supposed to be trick-or-treating with a bunch of friends in collaborative costumes of a Tim Burton theme, a sleepover party followed up with a trip to a local theme park's Halloween Scream today. She has been working on her costume for a week, proudly doing it all herself. Then Thursday night, I get a call from the mother that it is all cancelled because her daughter is grounded. Seems that the daughter had snuck her phone to text friends this week to make final plans. It had been taken away a MONTH before because she made the mistake of texting once during school hours.

As I sat with Honey, her frustration is almost as big as her disappointment. When you have a fourteen year old wishing aloud for friends who aren't from dysfunctional families, you know it is time for a big heart to heart.

She sat with me, snuggling, asking many practical questions.

Don't these kids know not to push their overstrict parent? Haven't they learned to give them lots of warning on plans so that they don't feel like it's being sprung on them?

And why are the parents so hyper-controlling with such ridiculously long punishments for small mistakes? Don't they know they just about force their kids into sneaking and lying to them because they feel so suffocated?
Don't they realize that kids would respect reasonable punishments more?


Problem is, I can only commiserate, as I wonder the same things. I would never cancel a party involving so many other kids the day before. I suggested starting the punishment the day after to the mom (a long-time friend), but she wanted her daughter's friends to hold her accountable for her actions as well. Sigh!

I see this far too often...parents who foolishly feel that wielding power over their kids is going to gain them respect. Kids are going to make mistakes. And if the punishment matches the mistake, they are made uncomfortable enough to encourage change, while still maintaining a healthy parent-child relationship.

Honey wasn't really interested in trying to make other plans after that for trick-or-treating. Thankfully, her computer was back from repair and upgrade (more memory ), so she planned a night in gaming online with out-of- state friends. When the trick-or-treaters started arriving, she ran inside to dress up in her costume to hand out candy. She so enjoyed all the little kids, and we had a nice time reminiscing over Halloween memories from the past.

DUring a downtime, she hugged me, and thanked me for being a "just right" kind of parent. She shared that while she will still be friendly with these long time friends, she doesn't want to spend her teen years constantly having plans cancelled. This happened all summer long, and while it isn't totally the kids' fault, she's tired of being affected by problems not her own. We are going to make a point to pursue further other budding friendships with kids from healthy families. As Honey said, "Keep your dysfunction to yourself!"

8 comments:

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Some parents are totally selfish and unreasonable.

I consider it bad manners to cancel a party at the last minute, surely the Mother could have found another punishment.

As for kids holding other kids responsible that is such a load of malarkey. Before I pulled eldest son out of school he had a teacher that punished the whole class because 3 girls were talking and she couldn't get them to stop. Her theory was that IF the whole class was punished peer pressure would make them stop. Didn't work, just made the whole class hate those 3 girls.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Alasandra. And I think Honey is onto something to regarding the spiral effect of unreasonable punishment leading to sneaking and cheating. Kids need to learn to be responsible and neither of those parents is teaching that lesson.

I'm further confused by your first example because I don't see why the mom would make plans that required the older daughter to babysit if it was a weekend the older daughter was supposed to be with her dad. The dad actually seemed to be being responsible making a mutually beneficial arrangement for him and the daughter for that weekend.

One study of 50-50 custody that I saw indicated that it only really works if both parents work in the kid's interest rather than scoring points about "equal" time or related issues. That means recognizing that sometimes your kids best interests are in spending time with their friends.

rae said...

You have a wise one there - and at such a young age. Kudos to her and to you for some quite excellent parenting.

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I am not even comfortable leaving my teenager in charge of the younger kids overnight, or any time I'm going to be more than 30 minutes away. And canceling a party at the last minute to punish a kid for some infraction? WTF?

I agree with Rae. You have a wise girl there.

Tara said...

We saw this business of mismatched crime and punishment all last year. Also the high pressure parenting for perfection without matched guidance and support. Neither of us understood it either. This year she wanted to be an Amy Brown "goth fairy" for Halloween. None of her friends could believe that I let her dress that way as their parents wouldn't consider it. It all seems a little backwards to us; we don't get it. Good luck to you and Honey on finding some new, steady pals. I'm sure they are out there!

sarah said...

Sigh. I don't understand some parents. That's probably all I should say on that subject!

Honey is very wise. She is such a caring and insightful girl, it must be a pleasure to be her mother. I am sorry for her pain over this, I think she is right to look for more stable friendship situations. It's sad for the other girl but it does seem like the whole family is feeding the dysfunction at this point.

Jennifer said...

::Nodding in agreement

Garden State Kate said...

((hugs)) for your Honey.
Some parents..oy!