Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Book Gem: Sophie's World

A stumbled across the most wonderful book and wanted to share. Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder is a fictional story of a young girl who embarks on a secret course in the history of philosophy through letters. It had been an international best seller, so I threw it in with an order for shiggles.
The idea intriqued me, and I was not disappointed. It is exactly the perfect sort of introduction to philosphy that I wanted for HoneyGirl. The book has a comfortable pace, yet Gaarder's background as a philosophy teacher ensures solid teaching of concepts.
I began reading it alone, and quickly decided to stop and order another copy for Honey. This is the perfect book for reading a chapter at a time, digesting the ideas overnight and discussing over afternoon hike or tea. As one of Honey's personal objectives for the year, this book is ideal for honing the skill of note taking as well. Check it out!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm off to check this out. It sounds interesting. I'm always interested in what your girl is reading!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this recommendation – it sounds great! I'm off to check out the details now...