Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Dream

My creative writing class has been studying the elements of tone and mood, using Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven." It might seem a daunting poem for middle schoolers if we were focusing on analysis, but it is ideal to illustrate how word choice and meter can be used together to create something really creepy!

Their assignment last week was to take a stab at it themselves, by creating either a five stanza poem or five paragraph narrative (minimum) in Poe's style. As usual, they challenged me to the same. I generally look at these challenges as "one more thing" for my overflowing to-do list, I actually had a blast with this. Sharing....


Halloween Dream

Amidst the autumn leaves a' rustling,
Comes the howls of spirits bustling.
Waking from their haunted slumber
To hues of gold, orange and umber.
As an inner compass points them,
Guides them to my humble door.

Early on bright smiles abound
Costumed innocents dance all around.
Politely prancing amongst lighted gourds
Like miniature ladies with their lords.
Laughing gaily on their swift ascent,
Drawing near my cottage door.

I watch them file down the leaf-strewn street,
Bonfires flicker; the mood complete.
I organize baskets, bowls, and trays
Of heaping, confectionery displays
I listen for the expectant knocking.
Rapping hopeful at my humble door.

Two young cowboys in red bandana;
Seven Hanna's, all from Montana.
Ninjas, puppies, stars in jewels
Witches, goblins, ghosts and ghouls.
I greet them, smiling; how I adore!
I tell them gladly,
“Take More, Take More!”

There were noble knights and a tortured queen,
A hoard of pirates from the Caribbean.
From Frankenstein to Mickey Mouse,
All descend upon my house
In search of sugared, sweet surprise
Waiting just behind my door.

With “Trick or Treat” upon their lips
And sacks of goodies on their hips,
Jovial masks hid the inner wanting
Of these spirits , oh so haunting.
A darkness lingers in their eyes
Piercing my soul with dread surprise
Unease became the mask I wore,
As I tell them,
“Take More, Take More! “

This grand parade of costumed feet
Kept marching faster, down my street
Frenzied forces quickly gather
All possessed by chocolate lather.
Glancing down, with grave foreboding
My cache of goodies; their hands unloading
Still they crash in waves galore,
I tell them feebly,
“Take More, Take More.”

My bowl of candy, quickly depleting
I weigh the option of retreating
From these grasping clawing creatures,
Adorned to hide their inner features
I tremble meekly behind my door
When I must tell them,
“There is no more.”

Those few words strike dark and quick
Sudden fog rises, dense and thick.
Angry tricksters without treats
Bang the glass, demanding sweets
I huddle, frightened, on the floor
As the costumed mob chants at the door,
Screaming as a demon choir,
“Give Us More”

The riotous throng continues growing
Louder torments , attacks they're throwing.
Their smiles replaced with ghoulish stares
If zombies mad for sugared fares
Overflowing porch and path
I shiver as I watch their wrath
Quickly rise to bolt the door,
To their building chants,
“Give Us More!”

Robin's Men, now far from merry
Circle round, their mood contrary
Princesses, once so demure
Hurl venomous taunts, hardly pure
Scaling walls, they shake my core,
I fret inside,
“There is No More.”

Lucifer's Hound! What sin so vile
That I deserve such tormented trial!
I hurriedly throw ope' the cupboard,
With sanguine bid, appease this hoard.
Macaroni or cans of soup
Will never calm this frothing group!
Outside the pulsing chorus implore,
“Give Us More! Give Us More!”

From the back I hear glass shatter
I need not look to know the matter.
The restless mob is closing in
Chanting o'er and o'er again,
“Give Us More”, endless repeat
I run and stumble in retreat.
Resigned I cower on the floor,
Knowing that there is no more.

A chainsaw motor rips to life
Soon to end my worried strife.
Great irony my life so fleet
Killed by those possessed with sweet.
As I prepare my flesh for coring
I hear not screams, but someone snoring?
My mind flings open this coma's door,
As dawning reveals a mighty snore.

Bated breath escapes with relief
Eyes blink back tears of disbelief.
Horrible dream! So soon surmised.
The night of mischief not yet realized.
A chuckle escapes, then a shiver.
I shudder, yet seek a merchant to deliver,
Safe, but still, I call the store,
My mind suggests,
“Get More, Get More!”

3 comments:

Tara said...

How cute! I loved it.

sarah said...

You are such a clever teacher. I wish you'd consider writing up (and selling) some middle school/high school lesson plans - it's a real hole in the market.

Theresa said...

LOL!!!! Great poem! Off to get more candy...