As feared, my head cold decided to spread south and settle in a while. Every October I get a cold, so I suppose that experience has made me wise.
I may be incredibily stubborn in most things, but I know how bad it can get if I try to push an autumn infection, and cancelled my weekend plans.
I have surrounded myself with hot lemon and honey tea, microfleece blankets and flannel pajamas. Friends have driven children for me (thanks Laurel!) and brought big pots of homemade chicken soup (thanks Mari!) , while the kids have stepped up and taken on not only my chores, but their schooling as well. If it wasn't for all the tissues, I might feel as if I was on vacation!
Between naps, I celebrated in a small way a true milestone. After a decade and a half, this Mama can actually be truly sick again. Gone are the days of struggling to breathe while making sure the kids are still being educated (for homeschoolers don't have substitute teachers). Past is the need for me to push through the pain while taking care of all the cooking, cleaning, and errands so our lives didn't fall apart.
Instead, I had three days where I could sleep at will, with caring teenagers checking on me or bringing me unsolicited cups of tea or another cover. They made not only breakfast and lunch for themselves, but soup for me. They even cooked dinner (grilled BBQ chicken and herbed rice one night; spaghetti & italian sausage the next). They did the dishes, switched the laundry, and took care of the critters.
As teacher, my only duty was to check over a weekly planner, and a little help with math. One afternoon, BuzzBoy and I watched "An Inconvienent Truth" together; on another, HoneyGirl and I sat mesermerized by NatGeo travel show about Belize. We watched the last debate together, and they walked to rent a few movies.
Now, three days later, I can rejoice a little in knowing that the world will no longer crash around us if I get sick. I can take the time needed to get better on the front end, without guilt. This realization certainly makes up for any disappointment over missing my weekend away. A cold may be a lemon, but when it can be added to hot tea and served by your kids, it's not a bad thing at all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
How nice to get to be an actual human with weaknesses again instead of always having to be the strong one. I am almost there. Almost.
It's nice to hear that your teens are caring for you so well.
BTW - someone asked about you and your old blog over at Doc's Domain. I didn't share your blog address, as I didn't know if that would be over-stepping. Come on over and join in the discussions if you'd like. :)
I hope you're well soon. Though this may be nature's way of giving you a much needed rest. :-)
http://momofmonkeys.wordpress.com/
Glad you're feeling better, and isn't it nice to get to rest? This year, when I got my headcold, it was great to have a nanny, and DH could just take the kids to her and I could rest at home by myself! Sick days for moms would be an issue I'd support.
Hope you are feeling better soon!
(hugs)
I suppose it would be weird to envy you!
DH has been great since my pneumonia diagnosis, as he doesn't want me to depart this earth, but the kids don't quite get my need for rest.
Hope you are feeling better now!
Post a Comment