Since wiring my jaw shut was going to be seen as unnecessary elective surgery that wouldn't be covered by our insurance, I decided to take the next best step: a public address to the entire co-op. I refuse to sit around waiting for things to deteriorate into ugliness, and frankly, I have faith in these kids to do the right thing when it is pointed out to them.
At lunch, I made a quick and simple speech. I reminded them that we are a diverse group based on respect. I reminded them of our constitutional rights of freedom of speech and opinion, as well as our duty to treat others as we wish to be treated. Talking straight, I pointed out how name calling over political views brings no positive change, and only causes divisions among us. I told them that I believed that they were mature enough to show everyone out there respect despite difference.
The kids were great about it, and the political tension had dissipated. They returned to complaining about sports teams and dissecting the ending of the newest book of the Eragon trilogy. Phew! Unfortunately, that meant I was perfectly able to have two slices of the delicious banana bread my girlfriend brought in, instead of sipping liquid protein through a straw and dropping a pants size by weeks' end.
My two came home, eager to watch the debate on television. Discussion in BuzzBoy's government class had pointed out the difference in lighting between conservatively owned Fox coverage where OBama's skin appeared darker and a liberal based major where McCain looked washed out and older. Side by side comparisons of the same view were significantly different, which makes one wonder about the other little tricks the media migh play to influence voters.
Yet once the candidates started talking, we completely forgot to look for those comparisions. They were all about the issues, asking questions, and noting the differences in demeanor. They showed uncanny bipartisanship in their comments, which pleases me that they are actually hearing those lessons instructing htem to focus on the issues, the larger picture of the candidates' records, and the real plan for rescuing the future.
HoneyGirl's statement that she thinks the youth of America are too used to questioning the how and why of everything to just accept patronizing statements like "we can get it done; it's not hard" . They don't have such a fear of elders or officials that my generation and those before me had. They want to hear the plans; they expect the details as rights.
It is exciting to hear her speak this way, and to realize the potential of such ideas. Today, we are going to spend some time reading the debate reviews, and discussing the issues more in depth. HOneyGirl wants to know more about Ronald Reagan, and why current administrations policies are so different than his great Republican policies/stance she keeps hearing about . BuzzBoy is going now fascinated with Kennedy and his policies, and wants to know more as well. These kids never cease to surprise me.
Woulda thunk the girl who hates history would backdoor her way in through current events? I'll definitely pretend my jaw is wired on that epiphany, so as not to put out the fire!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You handled the Co-op situation well, we don't go to many homeschooling events around here because I feel so judged by the Christian Conservative families there; I just smile and make shallow small talk but I always end up saying something that gives away my flaming liberal, no leg shaving, tattooed, not married (never will but have a life partner), non-christian (in the modern sense) self away. I hate being so guarded around people who value the same freedom to homeschool/educate their children the way they want to. I am a very open loving person but feel so guarded in our community, totally not my style.
You just needed the right hook for the history. I think you might discover that it was Reagan's policies that got us into this banking mess, though. Lack of regulation is a key issue.
And current events are a great way to get into history. Makes it relevant but also a really good reason to need historical knowledge. Once the election is over there are lots of other possibilities. The roots of the current middle east situation in colonial rule of Africa and various agreements between colonial European powers; the roots of the Georgia crisis in the cold war and previous imperial standoffs; even an investigation of various previous economic crises. Maybe leave that article I e-mailed you lying around on the table somewhere.
I'm impressed by the way you handled the co-op situation, it's what I would have done too. Er, which isn't what makes it impressive ... oh dear (blush).
I agree with Honey Girl, children these days are more aware and questioning and its wonderful (difficult sometimes, but wonderful).
Thanks for pointing out some of the media tricks - how fascinating. I had been wondering why McCain looked soooo old and pallid.
I'm glad it wasn't necessary to have your jaw wired shut. :-) It sounds like you handled it beautifully. I am glad the girl is so excited about the election.
Good job. I find dealing with the few Ultra Conservatives whom I know, who still talk to me, very wearing.
Coming from the left..I find it funny that they think Obama is "one of us".
Post a Comment