Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Time to Get my Jaw Wired Shut

A few years back, a woman I knew had her jaw purposely broken and wired shut. At the time I thought it would be a terrible ordeal. When I asked her how she got through it, she told me that it was a life changing experience. I agreed that her facial structure look amazing and noted that she had lost fifteen pounds to boot. She shook her head, stating that the best bonus was learning the patience to not feel the need to reply when the people around you are raving like idiots about one hot topics after another. It has changed her entire outlook and increased her ability to enjoy work more fully.

With five weeks to go, I am thinking it is about time to schedule my jaw wiring surgery. I am trying so hard to rise above all this politicking and respect others rights to their opinions. Moreover, I really try to respect the teacher/student relationship, and I have no right to push my politics on any of my student's , undermining their family's view. I have found that very few people have the maturity to separate one's politics from one's person, and when religious convictions dictate those views, it becomes even more problematic.

It was really challenging when a certain Diocese in our state (oddly from Joe Biden's hometown) sent out a statement telling parishoners that the only way to be a good Catholic is to vote pro-life and conservative. I had huge issue with this. Firstly because it is using faith issues to interfere and influence politics, and secondly because such influence is illegal for non-profit organizations. Many of the people, adults and teens, began making strong claims for McCain /Palin, and acting horrified for anyone who didn't agree.

I took the high road, and encouraged my kids to do the same, and just stating that it is great that our constitution gives everyone the right to elect officials and have opinions. And walk away...because as much as I love to discuss politics with others, it is a futile exercise to do so with ultra conservatives.

My son got attacked just for mentioning the fact that Palin is the VP candidate, and maybe everyone should focus more on McCain and Obama. A fury of females came to her defense, touting that any woman who can raise run a state and a family of five can handle the job. He sarcastically countered that "If you are using her experience as a mom as her highest credentials, then how does her teenaged daugther getting knocked up figure in." (We are still working on leashing that tongue, but he did feel backed in a corner for a non-critical comment already;)

The tensions rose last week when another friend offered me a "Read My Lipstick" t-shirt, carrying on about how wonderful Sarah is and how great it will be to have someone 'just like us' in the White House. It took so much control to not respond that neither she nor I, nor anyone I happen to share the bench with at a hockey match would be remotely capable for running this country. Yet I listened as the other moms cooed over the idea, as if the presidency of our nation had become a popularity contest devoid of substance. Granted, I do not want a commander in chief who is completly out-of-touch with the middle class, but am I the only one who sees this tactic as utterly frightening?

I again countered the direct questions of a few of my students with poise when I responded that I did not support Palin for many reasons, but that I truly feel that she is actually stepping outside of the conservative ideals in putting herself and her career before her young family. This was accepted without question, and actually with a bit of thoughfulness.

This may seem odd coming from a feminist like me. But if you analyze the situation from the ultra conservative perspective, her choice to accept this appointment, while still having so many young children is hypocritical. VP entails a great deal more than governor of a remote state with such a low population. I am not criticizing working mothers or the diminishing the role of the father. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of her riding the "hockey mom" wave into office. The same Conservatives who have criticized women who put career first are embracing her. I don't get it!

But this week, I might just get into trouble. Our county is all atwitter becuase McCain/Palin are speaking at Lehigh University together. There is to be a huge rally, and local groups are already stating to organize sign making parties and plan their week around it. The kids, following their parents lead, will probably hope to be bringing that into the co-op today where about a 1/3 of the folks are equally strong Obama supports ( but who have been more polite about their views so far.)

You get the picture. Pray for me!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree with all your reasons for not being able to support Palin. Im sure your local diocese is not the only church telling its members which way to vote. I live in an area where nobody I know would even consider voting for Palin--it's interesting to have this peak into your world.

Sarah said...

unrelated to this... last year you did a home economics or cooking unit...did you know of a particularly good book or website that I could use to put together something similar? The mothers in Hels' class have decided to get together once/month for the rest of the school year and teach them to cook.

rae said...

Praying for your jaw! I don't know that I would be able to refrain.

Anonymous said...

I think it would be entirely reasonable to say that the co-op is inclusive and thus activities in support of any particular political party or event are not appropriate for the coop. If people want to invite folks over to their houses afterwards to make signs, that is their business.

The scariest thing about Palin is that she is all about personal ambition (I've been reading Becky's links). I don't seem much evidence that she is at all interested in serving the public. And that's a pretty funny interpretation of Christianity, too.

I am amazed how many churches get away with telling people to vote for particular candidates. But if no specific candidate was named in that advice, it is probably not falling foul of the rules.

Anonymous said...

Our co-op seems to have an unspoken agreement that we don't talk politics. The co-op is deep in the more conservative suburbs, but many of us come in from the liberal cities, so it is a dangerous topic! I can't imagine anyone wanting to bring sign-making in and disrupt the delicate balance we try hard to acheive.

I heard Peggy Noonan of all people say on Meet the Press that she though the tactic of saying "I represent hockey moms and Joe Six Pack" was a bad one:

"[Palin] actually says, “I’m the Joe Six-Pack candidate.” This left me thinking, “Gosh, would Lincoln say, ‘I represent the backwoods types?’ Would FDR say, ‘Yeah, the New York aristocracy deserves another moment in the sun. Vote for me.’” It—there’s something weird about it. "

I have said to friends, it might make sense to sell your self as representing some special group when you're running as a representative, but not when you're running for president. Then you need to show us how you get the big picture.

Tara said...

Did you happen to catch The Daily Show the other night?
You might appreciate the VP debate commentary. If you missed it, it is up on the website now.
We were laughing our butts off.

Theresa said...

I soooooo feel your pain. Let me tell you it is not easy being a Catholic who supports Obama and an Alaskan who detests Palin. I just want to gag when I hear her speak. I receive daily emails/messages telling me I cannot vote for Obama, that I must vote for McCain or I am not a Catholic. Oh,really? Unless I hear it from Jesus himself there is no way in h@ll I am voting for McCain/Palin and all this pressure is really starting to piss me off. I have also had a significant drop in blog traffic since I posted my 10,000 Catholics for Obama badge on my sidebar. How shallow is that?!
Sorry for the rant.I would obviously need to wire my jaw shut in your situation.

Garden State Kate said...

Sorry to hear it, not surprised though.I was not a huge Obama fan at first, but all the race/fear talk is forcing me to vote for him.
The McCain/Palin thing is becoming sick. ((hugs))

Jennifer said...

Personally, if Kate can figure out how to time-travel to Indiana & register to vote there, I'd cheer gratefully for her Obama vote. Since she can't do that, I'd back her Green Party vote 110% in NJ, because as I understand it, Green is her ideal. I respect the Green voters, and I'd vote with them, if I felt my state could afford it, speaking economically -- meaning, if my candidate were a shoe-in, I'd vote Green to give that most important conversation more energy.

Such a hard election season, this is.

I received via e-mail FWD the Catholic Church-based video stating that ONE issue is more important than any other when deciding how to vote this year.

It.

Enraged.

Me.

When social safety nets are in place, including but not limited to access to reproductive education and affordable pregnancy prevention, abortion rates decrease. Statistics prove it. The Church needs to start thinking outside the morality-box, for the greater good.

So there.

And I'll tell you another thing! You get your jaw wired shut, and I'll bean ya, sister. Even when we don't agree, the conversation needs to happen.

It's how people learn!

Jennifer said...

PS: Good luck with BB's driving test!!!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We now have an Obama sign in our yard (uhhh let me check and make sure it is still there - done sigh of relief it's still there).

I kinda liked Palin at first, until I learned more about her .....

While I don't agree with either party 100% but do tend to lean Republican this year Obama and the Democrats get my vote. His record on animal welfare swayed my decision.

And the Republican just keep shooting themselves in the FOOT!