That metaphor has deep and varied meanings for me this week.
The obvious is that I am finally almost on top of things again after my bug. My kids did a great job taking care of themselves and feeding us, so that I could rest and recover quickly. But, I was still left with two weeks of other folks' kids work to correct, the next month's lessons to plan, and a challenge from my class to write a narrative poem in the style of Edgar Allan Poe (we've been studying "The Raven", and we're all inspired!)
Add to that all the administrative and planning duties of the co-op, and for next week's parent's informational meeting on "Homeschooling the Highschooler." This is also the final week before our big pancake fundraiser for BoyScouts as well, so I have been called away to planning meetings and set-ups as well. I cannot stress enough how much I want my over-committed October to be over!
Still, the week has not been a rushed chaos. I've been sleeping in. HoneyGirl has decided to continue doing most of her work independently, except math. It is a real positive move for her, as she has been struggling to develop some new and necessary coping skills. I had a very insightful and constructive conversation with a dear friend who is also a specialist with learning disabilities, and found that I had been inadvertantly mislabeling new issues, or presentations, of her dyslexia. We have totally shifted focus with some new techniques, and have had a wonderful week. I'll post more in detail on that later.
At the same time, I've been profoundly aware that I am in the final stretch with BuzzBoy. As I put together that American HIstory syllabus, I was all too aware that he could, according to the academic requirements of the state and his diploma program, graduate at the end of this year. Early graduation is a bit spooky to ponder.
Buzz made a point to ask what direction he would be taking next year multiple times this week. I assured him that we will not be shipping him off to school any earlier than planned. He seemed much relieved. He wants to try his hand at a few community college classes, and take some additional classes at the co-op purely for interest while he researches colleges and finishes his Eagle project.
Later this morning, Buzz, KingBee and I will spend the morning at an University Open House sponsored by the Science Department at his "safe" school. Not his first choice, but a solid and affordable school that is close enough to the area that he could come home occasionally with little trouble. Its a smaller school than the others, and a great place for Buzz to begin his search.
A relaxing November is so close, and soon enough, Buzz will be graduated and moving into the world. How is it that the days seems to go so slowly, but the years too quickly?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Early graduation! That's wonderful - so he wasn't such a bad student after all! Well done Mama/Teacher :-)
I'm glad you are feeling better. I admire all the work you do for your homeschool co-op. Its more than I ever did for mine!
Post a Comment